The Crumbling Outside World | Teen Ink

The Crumbling Outside World

By typicalnicki SILVER, Schenectady, New York
typicalnicki SILVER, Schenectady, New York

I remember when I was younger and I would go on walks with my older brother. My parents weren't worried about us. We were in a safe neighborhood. Abundant flower pots hanging from posts and the smells of local eateries cooking fills the streets. Fast forward 10 years and we are looking at a completely different situation. People are afraid to walk anywhere. Instead of local eateries, you smell illegal drugs. There are no more flowers, instead missing children signs. There are gangs patrolling where you live. They beat up boys for no reason and rape innocent girls. You are on a leash locked up inside of our house. your savings are being stolen from your house. My brother was threatened that the gang was waiting for him to go school so they could brutally attack him. A boy was playing basketball at the local park when the gang beat him up and gave him a black eye. Police are blinded by the gang and are scared that they might try to hurt them with there large number and dangerous weapons. Some people look at our town and say it looks perfect, but even small towns now aren't so innocent.

This piece is about my hometown and what has happened in the last couple of years.