Friendship: Vacation With My Best Friend | Teen Ink

Friendship: Vacation With My Best Friend

August 27, 2012
By musicliteraturelove PLATINUM, Clifton Park, New York
musicliteraturelove PLATINUM, Clifton Park, New York
30 articles 10 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
any Bright Eyes lyric is my favorite personal quote.


"Tis the privilege of friendship to talk nonsense, and have her nonsense respected,” -Charles Lamb.

This quote perfectly fits the relationship with my best friend Gigi. I’ve known her for about 3 years. We’re so close and comfortable with each other. She and I can just talk and talk for hours on end about absolutely nothing, and have a great time doing so. We respect each other and have a basic understanding of the other’s level of craziness. Tolerance is key. When she goes off on an extraneous thought, I slow her down and help her form it into something logical. She’s so creative and random. We’ve got an endless list of long, complicated inside jokes about pointless adventures like dragging her brother across Mexico, Canada, and Asia to make him the only tan Asian. She is one of the most beautiful, quirky, unique, artistic, and interesting people I have ever known. One minute she’s hilariously nonsensical, and the other, so deep and real. Sometimes we sit down and have one of our “beef talks” to discuss important stuff like God, faith, love, guys, Christianity, and the world. This is true friendship for us. We have been through so much together, and although she knows my flaws and I, hers, we still love each other, which is what makes us so close.

This summer our families went on vacation together to Hatteras, NC on the Outer Banks. Both of our families stayed all together in a house right on the ocean for a week. We all joked about how we wouldn’t want to hang out with each other after the trip. We figured our strangeness would turn the other family off. Honestly I did learn some rather strange things. My dad and Gigi’s father got really close so we teased them about having a “bromance”. Patrick, her brother, sang me a really cool song he wrote and Gigi told me funny stories from her childhood. It was really ironic what happened because, instead of being put off by it, it made me want to learn more.

I remember one night after a great day at the beach, Gigi and I had a lovely conversation. Sitting across from each other in the room we shared, we starting talking; about school, drama, guys, the upcoming play auditions. We just sat and talked for hours. I cannot even remember exactly what was said. But it doesn’t matter. When I talked she listened, which the impression that was left upon me that night. I’ll never forget how happy and secure I felt. I love her so much and I’m so happy that we met. She and I, we just fit: like peanut butter and jelly.


The author's comments:
A summer remembrance about my best friend and the time my family spent with hers.