Adults | Teen Ink

Adults

By Jakefrog BRONZE, Hong Kong, Other
Jakefrog BRONZE, Hong Kong, Other
2 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Isn’t it annoying when you don’t know what people are talking about? Don’t you just want to get in on their conversation and say something? My dad doesn’t mind discussing intellectual matters with his friends and leaving me out.

I know my father must discuss serious issues in work, and that I shouldn’t even be listening to what he is saying. Frankly, however, as the youngest member of my family, I don’t really find much else to do. Whenever we are at parties, my teenage brother and sister go and talk with their friends. I attempt to listen in and talk, but they always push me away from their group. Then it’s time for Plan B: My dad. I honestly have no idea why adults find certain things funny. My dad is always talking about politics or business, and I hardly understand half the words he says. It’s almost like another language. He’s always talking with his friends about boring topics and they’re all laughing and having a ball. I’m just standing around saying nothing. At least it’s more entertaining than being around teenagers. Adults never try to push you away, they just ignore you. In fact, I think my dad is the king of ignoring me. Whenever I approach him, he’s in some heated debate about the government with one of his friends. First, I try the “asking approach”. I go up to him and say, “Dad? Hey Dad?”. If that doesn’t work (which is about 99% of the time), I use the “tap on the shoulder” technique. I jab him several times in the back with my hand. If that still doesn’t work (which is probably 80% of the time), I use the “all out tantrum” technique. I pound on him with my hands and yell “Dad!” as much as I can. This works about 90% of the time. If not, I fling up my arms and give up completely.

I think my dad is partly why I hate parties. Because of him, I tend to try to stick around teenagers most of the time, but sometimes the things they talk about are even more incomprehensible than what he says. Normally, when there are big parties, I don’t even know who half of the people there are. Everybody is either older or younger than me, and none of our “family friends” are in my grade. Even younger kids talk about video games and killing zombies and I cannot make heads or tails of what they’re talking about. The only reason why I actually hang around adults is because they aren’t annoyed by my presence. Unfortunately, they don’t even seem to acknowledge my presence. When I’m around adults, namely my father, the whole world seems dull and dreary. In fact, unless there is a lot of food at a party, the only thing I see worth doing other than eating is sleep. I wanted to stay up for the New Year but when I tried to listen to my dad’s conversations, the whole party didn’t seem worth it.

I don’t understand older people. Sometimes, looking at my overly pubescent teenage brother, my brain hurts thinking about what it would be like to be him. But my real fear is when I see my parents. Every sentence my father says both intimidates and bores me. When I imagine what I will be when I’m an adult, I’m afraid that this will be my idea of fun. I sure hope if I have kids, they won’t feel as lonely as I do.

on Sep. 3 2012 at 5:09 am
shaylapurple16 PLATINUM, Hong Kong, Other

"Writing doesn’t mean deciding to sit still all of your life and think. Ideas come from living and experiencing life, and then stepping back to think." -Shayla

Hi Jake :D lol its good