American the Beautiful | Teen Ink

American the Beautiful

By Amy Yenerich SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Amy Yenerich SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

As we pull into town with the windows down, we can see the waves crashing against the sailboats, seagulls flying all around, and families laughing and enjoying each others company. Its the most beautiful place on earth, it’s Bayfield, Wisconsin.

My two dogs tagged along with us today, we didn’t have any leashes so we grabbed some rope and tied it to their collars. We thought it was a genius idea, well that was until one of the got free. We were just walking along the sidewalk, peeking into all the cute little shops along the shore. My mom and I have been there before so we were looking for one particular store. As we were arriving at the shop, we noticed that one of our dogs had gotten off of her leash. The first thought we had was that she had been kidnapped or she even ran away. We started calling her name, “Sugar, Sugar!”. We heard a soft voice come from a nearby shop, “Is this your dog? She’s in here!” At first we were furious with her, but in a matter of seconds, we all started laughing because we knew it was just a silly mistake. When we got Sugar back, we made sure the rope wouldn’t get loose again.

After a couple of hours of just walking around talking in all of the beauty that Northern Wisconsin has to offer, we decided it was time to get something to eat. We just had one little problem, we couldn’t leave the dogs in the car because it was too hot out that day, but we didn’t know where we could go with two crazy dogs. We decided to keep walking around until we could find a place that would allow us to bring our dogs with us. We saw a cute little pub with a deck that looked over the pristine water of Lake Superior. Unfortunately, it was packed. I’m not talking about a 5 to 10 minute wait, you couldn’t see anything in front of you. Finally when we were seated. We had to think of a way we could tie our dogs up so they were out of the way but also out of the scorching hot heat. The waitress was nice enough to get some bowls of ice- cold water for them. Our table was by the stairs that lead you down to the sidewalk, so we put them on the grass and hoped for the best.

That day of adventures I will never forget. The memories of laughter and worry are ones that will stay with me the rest of my life. I am so happy that I was able to experience something so relaxing and enjoyable in the United States.