When My Sister Almost Died | Teen Ink

When My Sister Almost Died

By Ariya GOLD, Charleston, South Carolina
Ariya GOLD, Charleston, South Carolina

Some men just want to watch the world burn.
-Alfred (Batman Begins)

It was a beautiful summer day. We were at our quaint little neighborhood. My sister was a little over one and I was eight. I was swimming with some girls while my mother conversed with theirs as mothers do. She turned her back away from my sister in her inner tube for only an instant. No one saw the little girl slip through the center of the floatation device. No one noticed her slow descent to the bottom of the three foot pool. Her vain attempt for oxygen went unseen. When my mother turned and realized what had become of her baby she pulled the child out of the water and checked for signs of life. The young girl's chest didn't rise and her soft, yet steady beating was absent. The C.P.R. began a frantic procedure to restore the warmth of life to the child's blue lips. The choking and crying of the girl were truly the most wonderful sounds to ever reach the ears of my mother and our family. The sirens greeted us a mere five minutes after the fact the ambulance came and whisked the my mother and her precious child away.

This happened nearly five years ago. It was the scariest thing I have ever had to endure. My sister is fine now and there were no real repercussions.

Ariya GOLD said...
on Jul. 4 2012 at 2:58 pm
Ariya GOLD, Charleston, South Carolina

-Alfred (Batman Begins)

It was and thanks.

on Jul. 2 2012 at 10:31 pm
CountryPopGirl PLATINUM, Lawrenceville, New Jersey

"You love someone, you open yourself up to suffering, that's the sad truth. Maybe they'll break your heart, maybe you'll break their heart and never be able to look at yourself in the same way. Those are the risks. The thought of losing so much control over personal happiness is unbearable. That's the burden. Like wings, they have weight, we feel that weight on our backs, but they are a burden that lifts us. Burdens which allow us to fly..."
-Dr. Jack Hodgins (Bones)

That sounds just plan old awful!

I'm gald she's okay now.