When My Sister Almost Died | Teen Ink

When My Sister Almost Died

March 13, 2012
By Ariya GOLD, Charleston, South Carolina
Ariya GOLD, Charleston, South Carolina
12 articles 1 photo 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
Some men just want to watch the world burn.
-Alfred (Batman Begins)


It was a beautiful summer day. We were at our quaint little neighborhood. My sister was a little over one and I was eight. I was swimming with some girls while my mother conversed with theirs as mothers do. She turned her back away from my sister in her inner tube for only an instant. No one saw the little girl slip through the center of the floatation device. No one noticed her slow descent to the bottom of the three foot pool. Her vain attempt for oxygen went unseen. When my mother turned and realized what had become of her baby she pulled the child out of the water and checked for signs of life. The young girl's chest didn't rise and her soft, yet steady beating was absent. The C.P.R. began a frantic procedure to restore the warmth of life to the child's blue lips. The choking and crying of the girl were truly the most wonderful sounds to ever reach the ears of my mother and our family. The sirens greeted us a mere five minutes after the fact the ambulance came and whisked the my mother and her precious child away.

The author's comments:
This happened nearly five years ago. It was the scariest thing I have ever had to endure. My sister is fine now and there were no real repercussions.