Bike Escape | Teen Ink

Bike Escape

By Jesica Lizbeth Santiago BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
Jesica Lizbeth Santiago BRONZE, Los Angeles, California

The park turned into the forest, the trees turned into monsters and I was all alone feeling ashamed of myself, thinking of what I would tell my family, but mostly my mom. My family is very special and unique. My mom, a love and caring woman, is always there for my brother, sister and I. My dad is a hardworking man will always love us and do anything to make us feel safe. However, my mom is the best of all.

“Mom, can I go to the movies with you guys?” I asked.

“No, this movie is for little kids and you said that you are mature enough to stay home alone at night,” she replied.

So I stood home all by myself. A girl my age being alone and bored can’t handle this, I told myself. I got my bike and went to Bellevue Park knowing that even though I was mature enough, I couldn’t just leave my house without telling my parents, especially at night. The park was cold and lonely; it was enormous compared to me. I was a beginner at riding my bike and the park was like a roller coaster.

The bike was fast, and I didn’t know how to stop it! The darkness blind my eyes and not even the moon’s light helped me see. There was a tree in the way and it threw me off my bike. I was on the floor wishing this hadn’t happen but sometimes wishes don’t come true. My family would be home and not find me; I couldn’t move and I was scared! The world fell down on me.

My hand was shaking but I was able to move it to call my mom and tell her what happened. She only took a couple of minuets to get there, but for me it was like years of being alone in the darkness. When she went to pick me up, I felt much better and safer. My first thought, was hoping she wouldn’t get mad but she did, a lot.

“Why would you do that? What were you thinking?” My mom had told me.

“I’m sorry,” I said, “I know I’m not suppose to go out at night by myself!”

We both calmed down and relaxed. I bet she counted to twenty before she spoke again. She was glad that nothing really bad had happen to me. She made me promise her that I wasn’t going to do it again. “I promise.” I said it because before, I really got scared thinking that I was trapped in the middle of nowhere all alone.

Looking into my mom’s eyes, I realize that I wasn’t mature enough, that I still needed my mom, I still do. No matter how old I am or how mature I will become, I will always need my mom.