Bike Escape | Teen Ink

Bike Escape

February 27, 2012
By Jesica Lizbeth Santiago BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
Jesica Lizbeth Santiago BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The park turned into the forest, the trees turned into monsters and I was all alone feeling ashamed of myself, thinking of what I would tell my family, but mostly my mom. My family is very special and unique. My mom, a love and caring woman, is always there for my brother, sister and I. My dad is a hardworking man will always love us and do anything to make us feel safe. However, my mom is the best of all.

“Mom, can I go to the movies with you guys?” I asked.

“No, this movie is for little kids and you said that you are mature enough to stay home alone at night,” she replied.

So I stood home all by myself. A girl my age being alone and bored can’t handle this, I told myself. I got my bike and went to Bellevue Park knowing that even though I was mature enough, I couldn’t just leave my house without telling my parents, especially at night. The park was cold and lonely; it was enormous compared to me. I was a beginner at riding my bike and the park was like a roller coaster.

The bike was fast, and I didn’t know how to stop it! The darkness blind my eyes and not even the moon’s light helped me see. There was a tree in the way and it threw me off my bike. I was on the floor wishing this hadn’t happen but sometimes wishes don’t come true. My family would be home and not find me; I couldn’t move and I was scared! The world fell down on me.

My hand was shaking but I was able to move it to call my mom and tell her what happened. She only took a couple of minuets to get there, but for me it was like years of being alone in the darkness. When she went to pick me up, I felt much better and safer. My first thought, was hoping she wouldn’t get mad but she did, a lot.

“Why would you do that? What were you thinking?” My mom had told me.

“I’m sorry,” I said, “I know I’m not suppose to go out at night by myself!”

We both calmed down and relaxed. I bet she counted to twenty before she spoke again. She was glad that nothing really bad had happen to me. She made me promise her that I wasn’t going to do it again. “I promise.” I said it because before, I really got scared thinking that I was trapped in the middle of nowhere all alone.

Looking into my mom’s eyes, I realize that I wasn’t mature enough, that I still needed my mom, I still do. No matter how old I am or how mature I will become, I will always need my mom.