How Does It Feel To Be Broke? | Teen Ink

How Does It Feel To Be Broke?

By ZombieGirl13 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
ZombieGirl13 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

"Live life not through dreaming and wishing, but by making dreams and wishes come true."

How does it feel to be broke?

My little sister, mind you-she's only four, came in, and asked me that question. Why does this bring me to tears?

Well, I'm at my dad's house at the moment. I don't live with him, I live with my mom. My mom's not perfect, she doesn't have a job, she's addicted to cifarettes and pepsi. Even more, she's had a few incidents with drugs.

She still manages to support me, and she loves me more than I thought was possible.

Hi, I'm Ricki, and I'm broke.

I visit my dad's every other weekend. I put up with my step-mom and step-sister, so that I can see my daddy, as well as my two sisters whom I adore. I put up with lots of s***, just to be around my loved ones.

Recent events based on money have left my step-sister and I in very different positions on the spoiled scale- me being on the lower half, her on the higher.

I'm broke. She's got around four hundred dollars.

But I'm not going to focus on the things that she has and I don't.

The thing is, my dad's side of my family are going on a trip up to Columbus, so that we can go to this anime con. I ended up not having the money.

Why?

I'm broke. My mom has no job. I have no job. My dad won't give me money.

Due to this, I cannot come.

The real beginning of this specific account of heartbreak started with me joking around with my previously mentioned four-year-old sister. I sent her out of the room a couple of times to give my step-sister, the same age of 16 as I am- a hug. Just messing around with her.

And at one point, my FOUR-YEAR-OLD sister comes back, and asks me;

"HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE BROKE?"

I asked her to tell me who had told her to ask me that. After a bit of struggling to get the answer, she says;

"MOMMY"

So, step-mother, how does it feel to be broke?

It feels terrible. Can't support my money for a ticket to an anime con. Don't really care.

Mom can't do it either.

It sucks, it sucks that not only am I being left out of the trip;

I can't get jeans that fit me. I have to wait months before I get the school supplies I need. There were no presents under my Christmas tree this year. MY MOM'S ABOUT TO LOSE OUR HOUSE.

But none of the pain that I suffer from being broke WILL EVER ACCOUNT FOR THE PAIN YOU'RE GOING TO FEEL WHEN KARMA B**** SLAPS YOU OFF OF A CLIFF.

OR WHEN YOU FIND OUT THAT I COULD RUIN YOUR LIFE IF I WANTED.

TOO BAD THAT I'M ABOVE THAT.

TOO BAD THAT YOU'RE NOT.

IT'S A SHAME THAT A 16-YEAR-OLD IS MORE MATURE THAN YOU WILL, CAN, EVER BE.

THAT'S NOT ALL,

I'm happy. And by the way that you act, you never will be. At least I'm loved.

An issue I had, with my step-mom.
I felt the need to write it out.