A Scary Experience | Teen Ink

A Scary Experience

People experience many things in life. Its either good, terrible, or in my case, scary beyond belief. Sometimes people wonder why things happen to them in certain ways, but I'm not here to tell you what people wonder. I'm going to tell you my horrifying experience during one of my classes....Health Education.
I walk into class, and remember this;I felt as healthy as a horse, and I just sat down and waited for class to start. When it did, my teacher(or coach in my case), and he told us that we were going to be watching videos on treating certain injuries. Well, the first episode was called SOFT TISSUE INJURIES. Later in that episode, it showed a women who had a huge(thick) piece of glass in her arm. I knew it was fake 'cause the way it looked, plus I have seen worse in movies. The coach paused it and said something about it. That’s when it happened. I started to feel shaky and faint, my vision was going and leaving, I wanted to vomit, and every sound was a soft muffle.
Of course, I got scared. This was the first time this had ever happened to me. After I had had enough and was as scared as I could get, I went to get help. I walked over to the coach and I said, “There’s something wrong with me!” He got up to help me stand still since I was about to fall, or faint. He sat me down and told me to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth. He also asked me if I had been sick lately and I said, “No, not all year.” I kept doing the breathing process, and finally I was strong enough to go back to my desk.
Once I went to lunch, I felt like nothing happened to me and I was just dreaming. People said that I looked pale and also asked what happened. I didn’t know what happened to me but I know realize that things are possible. Even if I was sick that day, I think it would’ve still happen. After school I told my grandma and my mom. My grandma knew what happened to me because she had it happen to her, too. She told me I had had an anxiety attack.
Anxiety attacks, also known as panic attacks, are episodes of intense panic or fear. Anxiety attacks usually occur suddenly and without warning. Sometimes there’s an obvious trigger— getting stuck in an elevator, for example, or thinking about the big speech you have to give—but in other cases, the attacks come out of the blue.
Anxiety attacks usually peak within ten minutes, and they rarely last more than thirty minutes. But during that short time, the terror can be so severe that you feel as if you’re about to die or totally lose control. The physical symptoms of anxiety attacks are themselves so frightening that many people believe they’re having a heart attack. After an anxiety attack is over, you may be worried about having another one, particularly in a public place where help isn’t available or you can’t easily escape.
I feel better to this day and I’m afraid it will happen again but I know who to go to if I need help(:

on Jan. 25 2012 at 11:25 am
LesterPooh BRONZE, Balch Springs, Texas

"....Whether I think I can or think I can't, I am right....."

Wow....that is some scary stuff