Times change, memories don’t. | Teen Ink

Times change, memories don’t.

January 12, 2012
By cmurguia2302 BRONZE, Mount Prospect, Illinois
cmurguia2302 BRONZE, Mount Prospect, Illinois
3 articles 2 photos 0 comments

June 7th, 2001 I was given my first teddy bear to hold, to hug, and to love. It was as special to me as a camera is to a photographer. No one could have him, but me. I would take Mr. Snuggles to bed, to breakfast, anywhere he was allowed to be. I also made sure he had great hygiene; well my mom did the washing. The first time I brought Mr. Snuggles to the breakfast table my mom made her famous French toast. The scent of the sizzling toast on the pan woke Mr. Snuggles and I up from a deep sleep. I carried my teddy down the mountain of stairs, following the path of the mouthwatering scent awaiting us in the kitchen. As I tiptoed closer and closer I felt I would float to the sky with the smell of my mom’s famous French toast. I sat down and placed Mr. Snuggles right on my lap, while my mom slid me a plate of the savory stuff. Mmm, is all I could say as I licked my plate clean. I decided to let my teddy try some and you can imagine how that turned out, a sticky mess. That is when I realized teddy bears can’t eat. Mr. Snuggles meant the world to me, good thing the syrup washed right out.

As I grew older my teddy became less involved in my life. Now don’t get me wrong, I still loved him, but it wasn’t necessary to take him everywhere I went. He stayed on my bed most of the time. He sleeps with me every night to bring me comfort. My longest running childhood friend, who knows all my secrets, all my fears, all my dreams, is right there with me to make me feel safe at night when I need it. Mr. Snuggles taught me how to appreciate the small things in life as well as how to show compassion for others because of how I cared for him and what I did for him. I learned that love is the timeless river that weaves through the hearts and souls of mankind, and we call the deepest part of that timeless river true. He was my best friend. I made the most of my time with Mr. Snuggles thinking that one day I would have to let him go. Having him taught me to treasure every moment that you have! And treasure it more because you shared it with someone special, special enough to spend your time with and remember time waits for no one.