aint it funny how somethings take you back | Teen Ink

aint it funny how somethings take you back

January 12, 2012
By 612093 BRONZE, Mt. Prospect, Illinois
612093 BRONZE, Mt. Prospect, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Osama bin Laden, the mastermind behind the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks that killed thousands of Americans, was confirmed deceased Sunday May 2nd 2011 in his luxury hideout in Pakistan in a firefight with U.S. Navy Seals, ending a manhunt that spanned over a decade. "Justice has been done" I remember President Obama said in his address to the nation late Sunday. I remember trying to watch the discovery channel later that night and all they showed was crowds formed outside the White House to celebrate. Numerous people were singing "The Star-Spangled Banner" and "We Are the Champions." Also every channel showed thousands of people waving American flags at ground zero in New York. This May 2nd day will be a day I will never forgot.

Prior to the historic day of May 2nd 2011 I was down in Orlando FL for the DECA International Career Development Conference (ICDC). I remember the exact moment when I heard the news Bin Laden has been killed. I was sitting on the pool deck with Joe Mcgrane and Alli Eschbach. We were all just sitting around talking and it was roughly midnight and then all of a sudden people in the pool and around the pool deck broke out in “USA USA USA” chants. We were all a little confused on what was happening but we just joined in since it was a “USA” chant. Then all at the same moment our phones all vibrated and Dan Vesper texted all of us saying “Bin Laden was just assassinated, never forget this day and where you are.” Then after we all read that text we understood why the “USA” chants were happening. So we decided to go head up to the resort to go see Vesper. As we were walking up to the elevator everyone we walked past would say phrases such as “Hell Yeah ‘Merica” or “Did you here the news?” Everyone became very friendly and one image that I strongly remember was when I was in the elevator. A little boy asked his mom why everyone was going crazy about America. Than after we got off the elevator we went to Vespers room. He was sitting there on his computer. We started telling him about what was going on by the pool. Vesper than told us never forget where you are during the moment the seals took out Bin Laden, he then claimed its going to be a day like 9/11 but a lot better for the United States.

For a long time I will not forget this day since the most wanted man in the world and leader of Al-Qaeda was killed. My teacher also made it very clear that it was a historic moment and not to forget it. May 2nd 2011 will be a famous day in US history and eventually will be added to textbooks. As Vesper and I were talking this line will be engraved in my head we were saying, “Bush got the Win and Obama came in for the close.”