The flower shop | Teen Ink

The flower shop

January 4, 2012
By Fm363 SILVER, Sauk Rapids, Minnesota
Fm363 SILVER, Sauk Rapids, Minnesota
8 articles 1 photo 2 comments

 As I step into the shop, I'm welcomed by a small ringing bell. I take one step in and I'm overpowered by the scent of flowers. The further I step in, the more I become engulfed in a sweet, strong floral fragrance. I stand there less than a minute, and I see what I came here for. 
  You fly out of the stock room and almost immediately apologize for the mess. I shrug it off, and follow you as you lead me into a back room. 
  We both stand there awkwardly not knowing what to say. We both make a few casual jokes, but an awkwardness seeps in. Each of us know what the other is thinking, even though we never say it out loud. 
  I ignore the awkward gaps in our conversation, take one look into your eyes, and I need a map. I'm lost. You had always disliked the way you looked. With you standing there, I immediately forget what you say about yourself. I forget what you say about being rejected because of your looks, because what I see is something completely different than what they see. 
  We walk and waste time. I try to keep my eyes on the road, but somehow, they always wander up to yours. Before I know it, I'm saying good-bye to you. You wrap your arms around me for a moment, and I already miss you. I can't stand it anymore I want to be more than friends. 
  The last time I saw you, we were talking and laughing. Now we're lucky if we talk to each other once a month. I guess we went our separate ways. But, I'll always remember how you made me laugh to keep from crying. 

The author's comments:
This is for my best friend grant. I love you.