Game Winning Goal | Teen Ink

Game Winning Goal

The soccer game was coming to an end. My team and our rivals were neck and neck. Tied two to two. This wasn’t just a friendly match, it was a district game. If we beat our rivals then we’ll be seated number one for the playoffs. The clock kept ticking away and I could tell my team was panicking. Not only was my team getting anxious but the fans too. Everyone wanted to see a final goal within the closing minutes.
I had a feeling a goal was coming and at the moment my team mate Kevin played a long ball to our forward Joe. Joe cut the ball back and played it to Robert, our attacking center midfielder. That’s when I knew for sure that the goal was coming. I sprinted up the field and placed myself a few steps in the 18 yard box. My heart was racing and I could hear the crowd screaming. Robert played me the ball and everything went quiet. I could no longer hear the screaming crowd, my coaches yelling, or even the defenders running towards me. It was just me and the ball. I took my touch and set myself up for the shot. I stepped forward and blasted the ball. It was a great shot and the goalie didn’t have a chance. As soon as the ball hit the back of the net the sound hit me like a two ton truck. The crowds’ screams intensified into a celebration I’ve never experienced. My team ran and jumped on top of me, hugging me and patting my back. I looked over at the clock and noticed that I scored with only three minutes left in the game.
Our rivals had their kick off after the goal and the game shortly ended. Everyone who was there ran onto the field to celebrate. It was a team effort and the fans knew that, they were celebrating with everyone. After we shook hands with our rivals, we all went out to eat. It was a rush I’ll never forget.