Tappin' all the way... | Teen Ink

Tappin' all the way...

By Ms.Attitude06 BRONZE, Ghaziabad, Other
Ms.Attitude06 BRONZE, Ghaziabad, Other

"I am the only person in the world I should like to know thoroughly" - Oscar Wilde

There were three of us. Walking, chatting and subsequently laughing. After all, it was Tarasha's sixteenth birthday! All of us planned an outing in some mall nearby And within twenty minutes, we reached our favorite destination... "Eatopia" Our "most preferred" place to eat! The same procedure followed- Calling the waiter, ordering some food and waiting for it to arrive. Well, after some time the food did arrive and being the junkies we are, we jumped on it the moment it arrived. After consuming a whole lot of carbohydrates, proteins and lipids, we took our respective soda cans.
I was tapping the lid of my soda can when Tarasha asked me “Does that really do anything?”
“No,” I replied, “I don’t think it really does. I just can’t open a lid of soda without tapping on it first.”

It was at this moment that I realized that I believed in scientific superstition. My other friend asked again, “Did that ever work for you?"
Before I could answer either one of them about what was the reason behind all this tapping, they started firing me with all sorts of odd questions. "It brings good luck or what?", "It doesn't harm you either way when you tap it or what?", "Where did you learn it from?", “Should we do it?”, “Is it black magic? Oh my god, you know black magic!” .
“Shut up! It’s nothing of that sort.” I said. Both of them did keep quite but I had no idea what to speak.
“Err…umm…Well, even I don’t know why I do it but by tapping on the lid of soda can I’m willing it not to be carbonated. By carbonization, I mean the process by which a fluid, especially a beverage, is impregnated with carbon dioxide. I guess, I believe that by tapping all the excess bubbles will disappear. I don’t think it will happen by magic, but have this bizarre faith in science as my magic.”
“Elaborate” demanded Tarasha.
Why is she so bossy? She wants to know everything in everyone’s life. “Well…it’s nothing but a superstition. So, chill. I mean, all of us know that tapping on the lid is doing nothing at all, besides making a slightly pleasant sound. But still, it has now become a habit for me. Like, I can not cross the road without looking twice both sides. I believe that by tapping, science will make the carbonation vanish. I don’t believe in good luck or back luck, unless you count being covered in soda pop.”
Tarasha suddenly asked, “Have we studied carbonization yet?"
“I guess not." I replied hesitantly.
She asked again, "Then how do you know all that stuff?"
"Just collected a bit of knowledge lately,” was all I could reply.

The day's end didn't turn out to be great, because it was meant to be a "Girls day out", not a "Why- do- we- tap- soda- can" class.

This piece was an effort by me and my friends Ashima and Vibhav. Hope you guys enjoy it.

Ms.Attitude06 BRONZE, Ghaziabad, Other

Awwwhh... thanks Josi.

butterfly123 said...
on Jan. 10 2012 at 9:35 am
butterfly123, Banglore, Other
hey! awesome!!!

Ms.Attitude06 BRONZE, Ghaziabad, Other

Surie! thanks btw. :)

sany.lastflame PLATINUM, Frederick, Colorado
I agree with lucybrown! Great ideas but more some more details into it and more vocabulary! try tyo fix the "&qote" thing please!!

on Jan. 8 2012 at 1:08 am
Ms.Attitude06 BRONZE, Ghaziabad, Other

I guess the "&qot" thingy made a confusion everywhere. :P Otherwise, i'l surely try to adhere by your comment. :) Thanks!

lucybrown SILVER, Blacksburg, Virginia

The wastebasket is a writer's best friend. ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

First things first, but not necessarily in that order. ~ From Doctor Who

I like this idea! The dialogue was really good, maybe just add a little more detail and background behind the friends. Also I was a little confused as to which character was talking in some parts of the story, but it's not too big of a deal:) Great job and keep writing!

Ms.Attitude06 BRONZE, Ghaziabad, Other

hahahaha. Thanks for your valuable comment. :)

marissadele PLATINUM, Danbury, Connecticut

"If you know how you feel, and so clearly what you need to say, you'll know it. I don't think you should wait. I think you should speak now." -Taylor Swift

You could use a little more detail, but i like this story. It's an example of no matter what people say or think, you should still be yourself. No matter how much the character's friends in the story asked her about why she taps on the soda lid, she didn't stop, she just explained. I don't know if that's the message you were going for, but that's what i found in it =) 4/5 oh and i like the idea, the scientific facts :P *gets soda, taps on lid O.O* (not meaning that in a make-fun-of-you way)

Ms.Attitude06 BRONZE, Ghaziabad, Other

Fabala_G: Sure. Thanks! :)

Fabala_G BRONZE, Broomfield, Colorado

"Try to learn to breathe deeply,
really to taste food when you eat,
and when you sleep, really to sleep.
Try as much as possible to be
wholly alive, with all your might,
and when you laugh, laugh like hell,
and when you get angry, get good
and angry. Try to be alive. You will
be dead soon enough."
William Saroyan

I feel like this was a little choppy. Work out the details, because this was a cool idea!

Ms.Attitude06 BRONZE, Ghaziabad, Other

Actually,I wrote this stuff for my school's science magazine. So i had to go for a scientific concept. :) I'll work more on the description part. Thanks for your valuable comment. Yeah all that ''''''' thing gets the fun outta reading. :/

ElizabethWaldie PLATINUM, Phoenixville, Pennsylvania

"I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat." ~Edgar Allan Poe

I liked the concept of the article, but I wish you would've gone into more detail :) I think it's good, though. Does anyone else find it weird how Teen Ink does that """ thing with the quotes?

on Jan. 7 2012 at 7:46 am
Ms.Attitude06 BRONZE, Ghaziabad, Other

It's just a mere supersition. :)

on Jan. 7 2012 at 7:43 am
recurring_resilience SILVER, Ashburn, Virginia

"These are the times that try men's souls." - Thomas Paine.

"You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am." - On the Water Front

"This is my place of failure."

Is that an actual fact..? Does tapping the top really even do anything?