The Face Plant | Teen Ink

The Face Plant

By you_know_me112 BRONZE, Ventnor, New Jersey
you_know_me112 BRONZE, Ventnor, New Jersey

Imagine the wind blowing through your hair, speeding down the brown board covered bridge, going as fast as can be. Then out of no where, you hit a silver colored rock and go flying over your handle bars landing face first, breaking your two front white teeth. This is exactly what happened to me.

“Hey guys, check this out.” I yelled over my burley shoulder. I was at the top of the Dorset Avenue Bridge. I felt the wind through my sun brown hair and rushing into my freckly face. It felt good. I raced down the right side of the bridge, heading into Ventnor Heights. I bumped up and down against the brown boards on the bridge, my heart pounding. I made the sharp turn, felt my arm against the brown and green bush. I flew off the curb and my black bike stopped and…

“JB, snap out of it,” Christian hollered.

“Whaa…” I mumbled. Apparently I had been day dreaming. I looked around. I was at the bottom of the bridge on the Ventnor City side. I was with Christian and Sean, riding bikes.

“You guys go first. I am going to be right behind you.” They just sort of shrugged and started pedaling. When they were about six feet in front of me, started to pedal. My heart started to pound. Now, they were about ten feet in front of me. I started to pedal faster. I felt salty sweat drip down my forehead and drop onto my freckle covered nose. I wiped it away. I looked up. Now they were at the top of the bridge looking back with questioning faces. I gave them a nod and they disappeared behind the tall bridge. As I came close to the steep incline, I stood up and started to pedal faster. I had to really peddle when I started up the incline of the bridge. A couple more drops of salty sweat plopped onto my nose. I wiped them off. I now was standing on the top of the bridge, friends nowhere in sight. I gulped and started down the rickety bridge, wind whipping my face. My tan arm scraped the brown and green bush. Uh oh, I thought. I turned and there were my friends, at the bottom. They saw me and started pedaling again. I made one last turn and flew off of the curb. I landed and my quicksilver bike completely stopped, throwing me completely over the black handle bars. “CRACK!” I felt the tips of my two front teeth and screamed. Christian and Sean turned back, their faces filled with question, terror slowly creeping over their expressions.

“JB, what happened!?” they both screamed in unison. By that time I was sobbing and blubbering so hard I could barely breathe. Sean and Christian sped over to me, their mouths agape. I dug into my pocket and grabbed my sky blue cell phone. I called my caring mother, still sobbing uncontrollably.

“Hello?” my mom’s voices appeared through the phone.

“Mom! I was going down the bridge and I fell and…” I babbled into the phone.

“What? Talk slower J. Calm down.” I explained what happened and started to sob again. So much pain.

“Ok J., go home and relax. I will try and get off work as soon as I can.” She hung up. I hopped on my now scratched bike, moaned to Christian and Sean that I was going home and started up the bridge. When I looked back, they were right behind me, whispering something to each other, but I didn’t care. They dropped me off at my tan house. I went in, closed the door, and sat on the lime green couch, still sobbing. Soon after that, my mom came home and rushed me to the dentist. There was nobody in the maroon colored waiting room and I was called right away. They could fully cap the front right tooth, but only fix the left front tooth a little bit. To this very day, my left tooth has been shorter than my right and I have been extremely careful on the bridge.