Diversity | Teen Ink

Diversity

December 5, 2011
By Mamasita13 BRONZE, West Valley City, Utah
Mamasita13 BRONZE, West Valley City, Utah
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
If men were smart, they might actually be dangerous! :)


Diversity. What would it mean to be different? Some people call themselves freaks, abnormal, or even weird. But to be different doesn’t mean any of those, well maybe weird but in a good way! Just think about it, NO ONE is exactly like you (unless you have a twin) but even twins are different in their own unique way! Your thoughts are your own, your words unique, your actions unpredictable. Everything you do is different from the girl or boy sitting right next to you. Even the smallest of things are different. Like no fingerprint is ever the same. Or no snowflake has the exact same pattern! We’re all weird; I mean who wants to be normal anymore? Being normal is too hard and boring, and so over rated! Some people call me insane, but I prefer the phrase mentally hilarious!

I’ve moved A LOT over the past few years. As in I’ve moved 8 times in the last 5 years. Being the new girl is ALWAYS hard! Moving so many times discourages someone to make new friends, because they’re afraid they’re going to have to move again. Walking into a new classroom is very painful. The staring faces looking at you. Checking you out; wondering if you’re worth talking to. And sometimes not making any friends at all; maybe the occasional one or two friends. And I haven’t even mentioned my hair. My hair is HUGE! With big, curly, brown curls flopping all over the place! Some might call it an afro! My hair is usually seen on black girls. So seeing a girl with fair skin, carrying black’s hair, and being Latina isn’t something that you see every day! Adults and girls LOVE my hair! They’ve never seen anything like it, or they’re so jealous of my hair! But most guys just think it’s weird.

It’s not easy being me. Expected to have and keep straight A’s, because my parents just know I can do better than B’s. Being the oldest throws the biggest responsibility on your shoulders. Having to take care of all of your siblings is NOT easy. Especially because you do all the cleaning around the house because your younger siblings can’t do work as good as you can, and that you should take it as a compliment that you’re a harder worker then they are. My younger sister cleans horribly! I honestly think that her motto is do not be good at something you hate, or don’t do something when someone else can do it for you! When my sister does something wrong I get blamed and yelled at for it, because where was I to prevent them from doing the misdeed? Overall we also have to be nice to them every time they get on our nerves. Sometimes I just want to smack them across the face and tell them to leave me alone! Having good grades, being responsible and caring to our younger siblings is what our parents expect and more. I honestly think they think that we’re perfect! But we’re not. I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But I’m only human. We all are. So don’t beat yourself up because someone can do something you can’t. We’re NOT perfect!

Diversity is what makes each one of us unique and special in our own way. Do not be ashamed of who you are. Don’t frown because you never know who’s falling in love with your smile!


The author's comments:
Don’t frown because you never know who’s falling in love with your smile!