The Time I... | Teen Ink

The Time I...

By calliebrossman SILVER, Pound Ridge, New York
calliebrossman SILVER, Pound Ridge, New York

This summer I had the amazing and unforgettable experience of going to camp in Hawaii. The camp was two and a half weeks long and filled with new exciting activities. Each week we would have a new skill that we would focus on. The first week the main skill would be to learn how to scuba dive.

When I heard I had scuba diving on my trip high lights I didn’t know what to think. Then packages of forms in the mail starting coming explaining all of the risks of scuba diving. When I read the forms, I really started freaking out. All of the risks that came with going scuba diving and all of the things that could go wrong were really getting to my head. I was coming up with excuse after excuse to make it sound like I was physically unable to go scuba diving. I was willing to say every excuse in the book.

But as I was doing this, I realized what an experience I had right in front of me. I was going to get to go scuba diving in Hawaii, a once in a lifetime experience and I was willing to pass it up. Even though I was scared, I realized I had to do it. How many people get to see life under the ocean 70-feet down, and learning a skill very few people will ever be able to try? This would be something I accomplished and, I would never forget. Scuba diving in Hawaii with some of my best friends was an amazing experience to last a lifetime.

I overcame my fear by realizing how extraordinary the experience would be. Even though I was still scared, it would be staggering and I would be accompanied by a group of exceptional instructors and suited with safe equipment. Also if I was so terrified when I was under water I was comforted by the fact I could float to the surface in a matter of seconds.

After scuba diving, I changed quite a bit. I learned that teamwork is a very important skill to be able to accomplish. And in scuba diving that skill is essential for success. For example everyone had to work together carrying equipment, getting everyone under water safely, and making sure no one was left behind. Scuba diving ended up being a great experience, and I am so glad I was able to overcome my fear and take part in it.

This piece was inspired by my summer excursion the Hawaii.