My True Destiny | Teen Ink

My True Destiny

By pink121 BRONZE, Barrington, Illinois
pink121 BRONZE, Barrington, Illinois

I am not like most teenagers of my generation. A lot of the time, teenagers are stereotyped as careless and angry people who would rather be watching TV or hanging out with their friends rather than with their family. That is not me. I have been through many experiences in my life that have helped me to create the person who I am today. Even though these experiences were terrifying and were something that a fourteen year old should never have to go through, I believe it has helped me to be an overall better sympathizer, appreciator, and caregiver to the community around me. These experiences changed my life forever in both a positive and negative way.

Sometimes, when I walk into my parent’s bedroom, I stop by my mom’s section of the room. I occasionally scramble through some of the lasting memories on her dresser and remember the good times we used to have. Then, I stumble upon the artifacts of her headboard. This is where she kept her prayer books and some family pictures. This is where she kept her Beanie Babies that we got her when she broke her leg and where her rosary and other jewelry lay. This is what held her medicine that helped her to survive for one more year. Where I sit is where she said, “I’ll be O.K.” to me, as I was in tears, a few months before the cancer took her away from me. Those were the most terrifying days of my life. I came home from school every day, went to dance, did my homework and tried to care for my mom the best I could. It was terribly hard and horrific, but she needed me, and I needed her just as much.

One of the most important lessons that I learned through this whole experience is that helping people is the true key to happiness. While helping my mom every day, I learned that people who are ill need hope. Hope is the thing that keeps them going and provides them with an optimistic future. This is not only true with the patient, but with the scared family members and friends who love and care for the person, as well. I learned that when you provide a person with a positive view of the world, they are happier and try harder to achieve that positive attitude and health. I also learned that sometimes, a person has to be assertive when appropriate. They have to convince a person to do the right thing, which in my case was occasionally trying to get my mom to eat and walk. This experience has made me look on the positive side of situations more and has made me think of a brighter future. Since then, I know how to care for people when they are down and I love to help anyone in need. I found myself more understanding of people who need help and am willing to assist them. I know first hand what some people might be going through and realize that sometimes the only thing that these people need is help.
Sometimes, when I see a family struggling with a sick family member, I cannot help but feel what they are going through. The same emotions that I felt with my mom come back to me and allow me to sympathize with that person or family. From the passing of my mom, I have learned what to say when another family is in need and realize that helping them is the best option. Sometimes, words cannot describe well enough the true feelings of sadness that are inside of me when I see a person struggling like I have. Earlier today, I was at a wake and was in line to greet the father. When I saw him hug someone and start to tear up, I could not help but feel the same way that I had felt when I had hugged people at my mom’s wake. I understood pretty well what the father was going through and how hard it was for him. At times like these, I try to understand those people and try to offer my sincere feelings.

One of the greatest, most powerful lessons that I have learned through this whole experience is that people should appreciate every good thing that comes into her life. I can simply say that my mom was the best. She committed herself to family and was always willing to lend a helping hand. Looking back, I appreciate everything that she did. I appreciate the times we went shopping together, the times when she helped me with my homework, and I appreciate the love and generosity that she brought to our family. Now that all of this is gone, I am truly grateful for her and am sad that I could not have more time with her. Everyone hears stories today about how teenagers hate their parents and never spend time with them. I even heard of a boy yesterday on the news that killed both of his parents. Why? They are the rock in a person’s life. They provide so much for their family and it is truly devastating to see kids, who have two parents, not want them in their lives. Great opportunities are rare and when they are offered, we should take them whole-heartedly.

Independence is a very important and useful quality for a person to have because it can greatly help her in the future. Throughout that year that my mom was truly sick, and even up until today, I have had a deep sense of independence. Sometimes, I have to do things by myself because my dad is busy or my brothers are not home. I have learned to survive on my own, but still be with my friends and family. I have learned that being independent now will help me greatly in the future because I will be ahead of the game. I have learned early on how to be responsible and careful with my actions and feel a true sense of pride.

Even though I have had some rough experiences, I sometimes try to find the good in them. I realize that what I have learned is so important because it provides me with the knowledge to help and serve people in our world. I think my true destiny is to apply the knowledge I have gained to the world around me. Maybe everything does happen for a reason.