Televison | Teen Ink

Televison

By Kittykaty99 BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
Kittykaty99 BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington

"Tap in"

I’m n0t someone that watches much televison. In fact, if I watch more than 2 hours a week it’s remarkable. There is just so much crap people are choosing to put on there from shows about trashy adults acting like five year olds to making 20 different shows about almost the exact same job, just giving it a new title. Why do people put so much crap on there? What gives people the interest to watch such ridiculous programs?

When I turn on the televison, I really like watching Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations. This show is about a man, Anthony Bourdain, who goes around the world visiting other places and eating exotic food. I get so much more out of this show than watching people sit around and eat. As he narrates his journey, I find myself learning so much about the cultures of the places he is traveling. His show is a joy to watch because he gives a full point of view about it, from the good to the bad stuff.

It really makes me think about all the good and bad stuff in the world. So many places in the world are struggling and taking this phrase families use of “making ends meet” to a completely different level. It is a completely different meaning of poverty there than it is in America. In America, a lot of people in poverty have resources to survive like food shelters, lighthouse missions, salvation army, etc. But when he goes to all those African countries and most of the children barely have clothes, it makes me feel a sense of need to help. There are 12 year old orphans there that are raising their siblings on their own and our 12 year olds in america are playing video games and probably not able to take care of themselves. People in other cultures truly suffer. It makes me wonder: how did we get to where it is so easy? What did America do to create it such a covered country.

I know thousands of people in America still die each day because of poverty and many, many people live in awful conditions but I’m sure it’s not nearly as bad as places like Africa. Why don’t they put more useful shows on the television like ones about poverty in Africa and stuff that would teach us about other cultures. They could make some really good shows about that, not just documentaries.

What if someone produced a show about a real person in Africa’s life? They could simulate just how harsh it is over there and show the world about the conditions and culture of their country. I know there are quite a few movies about stuff like that. We have hundreds of shows that simulate life in America, why not broaden the spectrum? Why not put some useful stuff on televison? I might watch it more if they did that.

A distortion of the meaning of life and the well being of our world.

camohunter19 GOLD, Sedro-Woolley, Washington

"Girls are so queer you never know what they mean. They say No when they mean Yes, and drive a man out of his wits for the fun of it." "Violence is never the answer! It is a question, and the answer is yes."

Your heart and soul are in the right place, Kittykaty99, but unfortunatly for you, America does not want a show about African life, or if I am worng: nobody has tried to make one. Chack out some of my stuff!