Lessons Learned | Teen Ink

Lessons Learned

By Skyla BRONZE, Maysville, Kentucky
Skyla BRONZE, Maysville, Kentucky

Make love not war

“Bye, I love you,” I yelled out the window to my best friend as I was pulling out of her driveway. It was late and raining “Of course,” I thought to myself.

As I pulled up to the main light in town, I was actually enjoying the alone time just listening to my radio and my windshield wipers going back and forth. Nothing was going wrong and I was loving every minute of driving by myself, except for running a little late for my eleven o’clock curfew.

Finally, my light turned green. In a split second, everything went from amazing to terrifying. It felt like my car was completely taken out from under me. Immediately, I knew what was happening; hydroplaning. At first, I was calm; I thought, let off the gas and didn’t touch the break. It’s a good thing I read the handbook.

Suddenly, blinded by another car’s headlights, I knew I was heading straight for them. Even though I knew what to do my heart was beating as fast as it could.

Jerking the wheel and a little help from God are the only thing that kept me from wrecking. After swerving back and forth from side to side, I was truly blessed and it completely changed the way I drive in the rain. Hydroplaning was definitely a lesson learned, that’s for sure.

Sometimes things will happen in your life that you aren’t prepared for; it happens daily. You just have to deal with it in the best way possible for the situation.