Way Back When | Teen Ink

Way Back When

September 28, 2011
By CassiY13 BRONZE, Maysville, Kentucky
CassiY13 BRONZE, Maysville, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

People take many things for granted in life. Some things, like knowing you have a roof over your head, and knowing that there is food and clothing under that roof, are important, but not exactly a life lesson. Other things we take for granted, like money, privileges, and even other people, will affect someone, possibly you in the long run.

Have you ever had someone in your life that you knew you should see often, but never really had time? I was the same way with my grandma. We saw each other at family gatherings and such, but only a few times did I make a point to see her. Little did I know those few times would be the last few.

It was May 2, 2009, 6 days before my 15th birthday, when she passed away. All of our family was gathered around a private room, where my grandma had been moved recently. I was usually in the room, surrounded by the closest family, my mom, grandma, uncle, siblings, but every so often new faces would come in to visit. When it was family that I haven’t seen in years, the room would get silent, just like a classroom would when the teacher walks in, and everyone would look around at each other. When it was doctors, looks of anticipation flooded over the faces of everyone in the room and in the hallway. We knew what was coming, but we didn’t know it was coming so soon. My cousin came home with me that night, while our parents stayed at the nursing home. It felt like only a couple of hours that we were home when our parents had arrived. My cousin and I automatically knew what was going on. My cousin immediately began to cry, but I waited until I was alone.

A few years ago, I would occasionally go to my grandma’s house and we would watch T.V., play games, or even go for a walk. We never got bored when we were together. She would just decide to do something spontaneously. One day, when I was over, she even sold her car! That’s when I knew we were both crazy and I could always count on her. I eventually got into sports and school activities and didn’t really have the time to see her as often. I know now that I should have made the time, because now, I can’t.

When I was little, I thought my mamaw was the funniest person. She would always make jokes about anything and everything. One day I had just woken up around lunchtime and was hungry. She asked me if I wanted some chicken noodle soup. She poured some kind of a liquid out of a can and into a bowl. After she heated it up, I tried it and it tasted like no chicken noodle soup I’ve ever had. In fact, it wasn’t chicken noodle soup at all. It was actually chicken broth! We both laughed and teased each other after that. I wish I had more time to joke around with her now.

In our childhoods, we often don’t think about how things will affect us in the long run. Not seeing loved ones often could really hurt you and them. I should have seen my grandma more. I know that now, but I wish I knew what was going to happen way back when. From this experience, I have learned that no one is promised tomorrow, and since then, I make more of an effort to see everyone that I care about and that cares about me.

The author's comments:
My grandma was special to me and I never really made the time to see her. She passed away before I knew what was happening. Do yourself and loved ones a favor. See them often.