Declaration of Independence from the Ideal | Teen Ink

Declaration of Independence from the Ideal

By Magnes SILVER, Trinagle, Virginia
Magnes SILVER, Trinagle, Virginia

When in the course of human history it becomes evident that women are still second-class citizen, however not to men, but the ideals of society and their view on the beauty of a woman. One must stand up and respectfully separate the women of societal bondage and explain to mankind why such a separation is needed.
We hold these truths self-evident that men and women are not created equally. For centuries, women have not been guaranteed the undeniable civil rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Centuries later and the women are still not free from the bondage that ties them to social ideals and norms of what a women should be. Centuries later the woman is not free to challenge the beliefs of this world openly and passionately. The women are still not free to be themselves without criticism. The women have ridden a long train of abuses, mentally and physically. This is why I stand her before you today, in order to cash a check of long awaited justice and give a voice to the helpless, or those who cannot speak for themselves. I am here to be your voice. Because when the women of the world are but in a box and made to feel less than what they truly are there should be a greater concern for them and the generations that follow.
I say to you today that all women and men are created equally, and have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. However the woman has been made to conform to the ideals of society while the men remain unchanged. Thus throwing women into the dark age of competition, each trying to do whatever it takes to be accepted by society, even when those things are self destructive.
Enough is enough. The ideals have taken away the woman’s right to be true to herself.
It has taken away her rights to look in the mirror and be satisfied in her appearance, love what she sees, and see whom she loves. Whether she is thick and curvaceous, shy, awkward, athletic, thin, petite or large.
I t has taken away her right to smile a smile that reaches the deepest corners of her soul.
For far to long the women has conformed to the ideals, leaving her in agony, and feeling worthless.
Whether it be in China were the woman had been made to bind her feet to resemble that of young girls, thus almost cutting the circulation to her legs and breaking her bones in the early 1600’s. Whether it be in the villages in Uganda and Mauritania where the women have been fattened up in order to appeal to men, thus, ignoring their health and true happiness, in today’s society.
Whether it be colored women, not only colored women of African decent, but the dark colored Taiwanese, or dark Indian women who bleach their skin in order to be a lighter complexion. They are being told that dark is not lovely and thus put on the back burner of society, being made to feel less than what they are. They end up causing damage to their creamy dark complexion, which made them unique.
Or whether it be in the western world where bulimia and anorexia nervosa have risen. The compulsiveness to be perfectly tiny individuals, have driven millions of young girls as early as nine to women in their thirties to put themselves in positions were they want so badly to conform to the ideals of what beauty is. Thus, these women have driven themselves to an early grave trying to fit the mold.
I refuse to believe that the Heavenly Father made any mistake on me, because I know he took his time to carve me, and make me special.
I refuse to believe that women only exist to fit the mold. I refuse, I refuse, and I refuse. I refuse to watch my fellow women go down a path of self-loathing and lack of confidence because society has deemed them different.
There is nothing wrong with being different, and outside the box. One should embrace their difference and run with it, because not even identical twins are exactly alike.
The media should no longer dictate what being beautiful is.
No one has asked “What is beauty and who defines it?” Is it the slope of a woman’s neck, the curves of a woman’s figure, her voluptuousness, or the way her smile radiates when she enters a room? Is it her strength to face the challenges of the world and keep her head up high?
Beauty is what a woman defines herself to be. Beauty is health; the true heath that one gets by caring enough for themselves, its loving ones self no matter what adversity comes. Its being true to ones self. It is accepting ones flaws and all.
I reject the ideal beauty. A woman is an individual with a mind, a brain, she is a living and breathing entity. A woman is beautiful because she is a mother, a sister, a wife, a daughter, a friend, and a lover. “A woman is the full circle. Within her is the power to create, nurture and transform,” said Diane Mariechild. However, she is much more; she is a president, a scientist an author and a teacher, a minister and a go-getter.
I, therefore, a woman of the world, appeal to the women of the world, to stop the self-torture and show your true identity. I accept what Gail Sheehy said, “If we don't change, we don't grow. If we don't grow, we are not really living. Growth demands a temporary surrender of security.” Thus, women must not be afraid to change what the ideal of beauty is and make it their own in order to live. Because I am not what you call me, but what I answer to. So call me unique, call me individualistic, special and one of a kind. I then will answer, “ that’s me.” Women of the world you must challenge the norm by daring yourselves.
Dare to be yourselves and glorious, healthy, beautiful women of the new century.
Dare to dream the dream of men.
Dare to dream from the Mountaintops in China.
Dare to be beautiful from the Sahara Desert in Africa.
Dare to be gracious from the glaciers of the Artic.
Dare to fly from the Alps in Italy.
Dare to live from the Grand Canyon of the United States.
Dare to be independent from the Nazca lines of Peru.
Dare to celebrate from the Taj Mahal in India.
Dare to never apologize for who you are and what you stand for.
When this happens, when we allow dreams to reach the heavens, when we let love sing from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city. We will be able to speed up that day when all women, black women, Latina’s, Asian women, and white women, Jews and Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and say “ I am beautiful no matter what they say, words can’t bring me down, I am beautiful in every single way.”