10 Tips for Incoming Freshman in High School

I never really knew exactly how I felt about starting high school. While I was excited to make new friends and learn new things, I was also very nervous about finding my way around and trying to stay out of the way of upperclassmen. I knew the work would be difficult, so I was dreading that. But I also knew that there were so many extra-curricular activities and that I would have a blast. All these feelings built into one confusing emotion. Knowing what I know now, though, there really isn't much to be scared about! So, for all those new incoming freshman out there, I'm here to help you make it through your first year of high school!

Here is just a list of some of the things I found helpful throughout my first year.

1) Remember, you aren't alone. There are hundreds of teens experiencing what you are experiencing this very moment! Although you may feel a million different things, just remind yourself that there are people that are feeling the same way. Brush those feelings aside and put a smile on your face!

2) Don't be afraid to make new friends. There are many people who share the same interests as you and are seeking those who share that interest. Sometimes you may have nothing in common but the desire to make friends! Remember, there are plenty of teens out there in this same situation.

3) Join an interesting club or sport. High school is the time to try new things, and luckily your school has so much to offer! There are so many clubs to choose from, like the environmental club, Spanish club, cooking club, mathletes, and so many more! Many schools also offer a wide variety of sports, including a freshman level! So if you've always wanted to tryout golf or give soccer a try, now's your time to try! Joining a club or sport is also a great way to meet people!

4) Your teachers are there to help you. This has probably already been drilled into your heads many other times, and I'm going to drill it even deeper. High school teachers want to make sure you clearly understand the material, as it becomes more and more crucial as college nears. Even though your teacher might not be the brightest, keep in mind that they are only trying to help you.

5) Don't be afraid to ask questions. If you aren't comprehending the material, ask your teacher! Chances are, there are others who also don't get it and are silently asking the same question. They'll be glad someone spoke up! If you are having great difficulty, you can also set up a time before or after school to meet with your teacher. Remember, they are there to help you!

6) Upperclassmen really aren't so bad. They may look super intimidating, but they were in your same position years ago. They understand how you feel. You can always go to one of them if you have a question about anything. Plus, they can make pretty great friends.

7) Popularity means nothing, especially if you go to a small school. Don't worry about trying to impress people, you shouldn't have to! Just be you and make people accept you for who you are!

8) Doing the homework really benefits you. Sure, sometimes it may seem like busy work, but it's only making you better! You need to be devoting a good amount of time on your homework. Plus, if you do it, you will get way better grades and relieve a lot of stress off your shoulders.

9) The littlest things can get you into trouble. For example, at my school if you put your backpack on the floor next to the lunch line instead of on the table, you get it taken away AND a detention. Yeah, it's pretty stupid, but rules are rules! Make sure you are in-the-know about your school rules so you can avoid all those silly detentions. They do show up on your resume!

10) Have fun! I cannot stress this enough! High school is supposed to be one of your greatest moments in life! Live it and love it to the fullest everyday!

See? It really isn't that hard! Knowing these things will hopefully make you feel a little more confident about your freshman year of high school. Just keep your head held high and enjoy it while you can!

PinkyPie said...
That was great , I love you just said the way you feel and all about having cancer love your poem

Penn said...
Love the texture and color!

Flora87 said...
Who is this about,may I ask?

insiya said...
Aug. 6, 2015 at 2:02 am
Im going to use this as seminar in my college

That contra girl said...
I feel you. I'm a sophomore and I march contra and people freak out when they find out the 5 foot girl who looks like she only weights 80 pounds marches the biggest brass instrument possible

Elyssa replied...
Good for you! I'm only 5'2" and 90 lbs and play the trombone myself! People wish they could be as cool as us! ;) lol

Elyssa replied...

sfreddson2156 said...
You're right: the importance of extracurricular activities is increasing. If you don't jump on the opportunity, it's easy to get caught up in the GPA scramble and miss out on valuable experiences. While GPA used to be a huge deal, it's really not anymore. It's important, but it's not everything. Thanks for sharing your tips with us! cns.catholic.edu.au/index.php/your-education/religious-education/

B0oO0oO said...
I'm citing you for my essay on advice to give an upcoming freshman CUZ this is great

utleyfanx0x0 replied...
May 3, 2015 at 9:49 am
how did you cite it?

princess said...
Thanks I will remember thus for next school year when I'm actually a freshman and it was very helpful

kalese replied...
Thank you so much I feel more confident about going to highschool now. I found everything I was looking for especially the ten topics rreally helpedalot. Thank you. Sincerely Kalesegray

JacobS said...
Jan. 7, 2015 at 8:50 am
my one question is: All my other friends are at completly different schools, and i feel like an outsider at my school. What can i do to make friends? I haven't needed that skill for so long i'm lost on how to do it. Every other time i've tried to make friends, they introduce themselves first. I don't know what to do. I have depression, and i want to make friends so i can be somewhat happier.

decfresh replied...
Relax. Thats step number one. I'm a freshman in high school but i built up a pretty strong friend group in middle school. However i have moved many times and have had to made new friends. Try to be friendly. Maybe ask a fellow student for help in class and try to find something to talk about, like the terrible teacher, or another student, or ask them about their own life. (People like to talk about themselves) Try joining a club, or a sports team. I have had my own spouts of depression but I get... (more »)