10 Tips for Incoming Freshman in High School

I never really knew exactly how I felt about starting high school. While I was excited to make new friends and learn new things, I was also very nervous about finding my way around and trying to stay out of the way of upperclassmen. I knew the work would be difficult, so I was dreading that. But I also knew that there were so many extra-curricular activities and that I would have a blast. All these feelings built into one confusing emotion. Knowing what I know now, though, there really isn't much to be scared about! So, for all those new incoming freshman out there, I'm here to help you make it through your first year of high school!

Here is just a list of some of the things I found helpful throughout my first year.

1) Remember, you aren't alone. There are hundreds of teens experiencing what you are experiencing this very moment! Although you may feel a million different things, just remind yourself that there are people that are feeling the same way. Brush those feelings aside and put a smile on your face!

2) Don't be afraid to make new friends. There are many people who share the same interests as you and are seeking those who share that interest. Sometimes you may have nothing in common but the desire to make friends! Remember, there are plenty of teens out there in this same situation.

3) Join an interesting club or sport. High school is the time to try new things, and luckily your school has so much to offer! There are so many clubs to choose from, like the environmental club, Spanish club, cooking club, mathletes, and so many more! Many schools also offer a wide variety of sports, including a freshman level! So if you've always wanted to tryout golf or give soccer a try, now's your time to try! Joining a club or sport is also a great way to meet people!

4) Your teachers are there to help you. This has probably already been drilled into your heads many other times, and I'm going to drill it even deeper. High school teachers want to make sure you clearly understand the material, as it becomes more and more crucial as college nears. Even though your teacher might not be the brightest, keep in mind that they are only trying to help you.

5) Don't be afraid to ask questions. If you aren't comprehending the material, ask your teacher! Chances are, there are others who also don't get it and are silently asking the same question. They'll be glad someone spoke up! If you are having great difficulty, you can also set up a time before or after school to meet with your teacher. Remember, they are there to help you!

6) Upperclassmen really aren't so bad. They may look super intimidating, but they were in your same position years ago. They understand how you feel. You can always go to one of them if you have a question about anything. Plus, they can make pretty great friends.

7) Popularity means nothing, especially if you go to a small school. Don't worry about trying to impress people, you shouldn't have to! Just be you and make people accept you for who you are!

8) Doing the homework really benefits you. Sure, sometimes it may seem like busy work, but it's only making you better! You need to be devoting a good amount of time on your homework. Plus, if you do it, you will get way better grades and relieve a lot of stress off your shoulders.

9) The littlest things can get you into trouble. For example, at my school if you put your backpack on the floor next to the lunch line instead of on the table, you get it taken away AND a detention. Yeah, it's pretty stupid, but rules are rules! Make sure you are in-the-know about your school rules so you can avoid all those silly detentions. They do show up on your resume!

10) Have fun! I cannot stress this enough! High school is supposed to be one of your greatest moments in life! Live it and love it to the fullest everyday!

See? It really isn't that hard! Knowing these things will hopefully make you feel a little more confident about your freshman year of high school. Just keep your head held high and enjoy it while you can!

AlyssaSimons said...
Apr. 14 at 1:28 pm
This was so great and I can relate, being that this year was my freshman year of high school.

sunshineAL said...
Jan. 14 at 3:39 am
I wish I'd read this as a freshman. Thank you so much for taking the time to encourage others.

NotaNErd said...
@EmEm I'm starting school too! Just think of all the new friends you'll meet and all the new experiences, and how many upperclassmen survived being a freshmen

itserichoe said...
Aug. 15, 2016 at 11:54 am
I start highschool in 1 hour >:)

EmEm said...
Aug. 10, 2016 at 2:22 am
In starting high school in a week and all I'm thinking is craziness I'm scared beyond belief I have no clue new school new place. I'm so scared someone save me!!

Grace replied...
Aug. 11, 2016 at 12:41 am
I start September 6th. I feel scared too, even though I'm going to the same school! I wish you good luck on your first day though, it's closer than mine is.

EmEm said...
Aug. 10, 2016 at 2:22 am

Lala lulu said...
I'm starting high school in a new state and I know no one and I'm really shy, it's hard to make friends and I'm worried that there will be no one who likes the stuff I'm into... I feel like I'm gonna have a bad time...

Elyssa replied...
One of my best friends was super shy at the beginning of the school year, and I noticed it. That first day I made an effort to make her feel included and ended up being best friends with her! There's a lot of stories about how high school is filled with jerks, but there are always people out there that are willing to help you. Sometimes it's hard to be the first to say hi, but it can be better for you in the long run. I'll be thinking about you! Good luck in the coming year!!

Elyssa replied...

Elyssa replied...

Lala lulu said...

dorkypringles replied...
I'm in the same position! :/

Rex Russell said...
Apr. 21, 2016 at 10:49 am
wow this has inspired me to do amazing things with the rest of my highschool career.

Lindseypearl said...
Way to use your voice to make a difference in the world!

the mighty rus replied...
Apr. 21, 2016 at 10:55 am
yes very nice

Tdan88 said...
The writings was very insightful and riveting.The depth of the authors emotions was almost touchable. Bravo!!!

Paige said...
I'm in desperate need of advice how do you just now worry about what others think of you?

Elyssa replied...
Don't be worried about what people think about you! There are people that will love you for who you are! I speak to you as an incoming freshman, and I know so many people who are kind. Don't believe the stories; not everyone is a jerk. You will want friends who appreciate you for who you are, so don't change yourself for others. Everyone is beautiful and amazing in their own way, and everyone worries about what people think about them. Those kids who think they are soooooo cool an... (more »)

Elyssa replied...