The Turtle

It is quiet as I dip my head into the water; the entire world has been turned on mute. All I can hear is the rasping sound my snorkel makes as I breathe in and out. Perhaps it is because of the quiet that I feel completely alone, though I can see the ends of my brother’s flippers ahead of me.
Kicking softly, I scan the cool, silent world that lies below me, perfectly still. This place is sacred, I realize, and not meant for me. Never in my life have I viewed such stillness. The water has blurred the energy of movement; it has softened the bright colors of the tropical fish that belong here. It has made a cold and gentle place, a place where the world above the water fades away. It is perfect.
And then I see the turtle. She floats along ahead of me, her silhouette just visible through the dream-like blue of the water. Her movements are slow and suspended. As I watch her, it is impossible for me to believe that she exists in the world that I live in. I hurry and drift closer, drawn to her in a way I cannot describe. She continues on her way, serenely ignoring my fascination. Her eyes are deep and black and beautiful. They are wise and old eyes. Looking at them, I think that she knows a something about life that I will never fathom. A secret that will remain unknown to all but one silent Green Sea Turtle who has let me follow her.

livelovesmile said...
Beautiful!

Dancelivelove This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 12, 2011 at 9:19 am
Great job!

kclaire replied...
Thank you! :)