Living a Rough Life | Teen Ink

Living a Rough Life

August 30, 2011
By theonetheonly GOLD, Oak Lawn, Illinois
theonetheonly GOLD, Oak Lawn, Illinois
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"life is short, live it up to the fullest"
"Live your live to the fullest, because it isn't easy just being yourself"


Life is too short; it’s hard at the beginning but gets easier as we get older. I’m a seventeen year old female. I grew up with just a mom. My dad had left me when I was younger. When I was in fifth grade my mom got married to my new step dad. She’s happy with him and all but I’m not. Growing up was hard enough. But yet I grew up a sweetheart, and a kind loving person. My mom has influenced me to grow up to be strong and to do everything that I possibly can. Also, to move on from the tragic incident that happened in my past.


I’ve been scared since my freshman year of high school. My step dad came after me it was the scariest thing that could have ever happened to me. I was in my room doing my own thing. My little brother who was three at the time came in there to watch a movie with me. We were lying on my bed and I have a night stand right next to my bed. I meant to put my hand on his stomach. I accidently had it lower. My step dad came in my room and screamed at me and told me “I don’t want to fricken pedophile in my house”. All a sudden I see my mom running for my door way. She blocked it so quick just so he couldn’t come after me. I was so confused and lost, crying in the corner of my bed scared for my life. Not knowing what was going to happen. Being only fifteen and frightened I wasn’t sure what to do. I kept asking myself if I should call the police or my grandparents to get me out of that house. Something came to my head where I started to think about the worst like him killing me. I wasn’t sure what he was going to do to me. I was worried and very scared. I asked myself “is my mom still going to be with him or is she going to leave him because of me. After everything he left. I finally came out of my room shaking because I was so terrified. My mom came up to me and told me “if he ever does that again to you, you would pack up your belongings and bring it to your grandparent’s house.” Having the mom I have to today is great she has given so much confidence back. She has influenced me to stay strong and to get on with my life and get an education. The fight with him has changed my looks on everything around. All I see is negative things or even say negative things about myself. Since that day I haven’t been able to concentrate in school.


Since the very tragic incident I have been influenced by my mother. I am currently still living in oak lawn with my mother and step father. My mother has taught me how to depend on myself and not other people. Growing up a lot of people will not be in your life like they were when you were younger. She has always told me to go out explore. To find things that I might be interested in. Then I learned if I go out and explore I won’t have to deal with the negativity. Once I am older I might have a different view and maybe even a better reason to why he did that to me. I need to learn from my mistakes and so far I have. Getting an education is helping me big time on getting ready for college. I have so many things to look forward to in life. But the one person who tells me that is my mother. She has always told me “go to college get a degree and go in to the career that you have been dreaming of.” Today in life I look at as a goal to set for myself. Thanks to my mom I set goals for myself so I can achieve them. Without being influenced to do anything I wouldn’t have ended up where I am today. I’ve been pushed to get through school and now because of that I am a senior working my way up to college.


I have been influenced by a mother who has watched out for me since I was little. She has taught me so much growing up like moving on from my past. I have learned that my mom is actually correct. I’ve also realized everything about life. “Growing up is hard but that’s the way you make it not other people.” The way people set their mind is messed up. We as people need to have a positive look on things instead of a negative look. The situations I was in are different I don’t think anyone’s step father or parent would ever pull consealed weapon on their own child or even their husband/wifes child. Also, a majority of teens or adults aren’t influenced by their parents. They are influenced by another adult figure. There is only one person that I trust with my life and that is my mom that is also why she has influenced me so much growing up.