Procrastination at 2AM | Teen Ink

Procrastination at 2AM

By PositivelyPessimistic BRONZE, Cypress, California
PositivelyPessimistic BRONZE, Cypress, California

It’s 2AM in the morning and I’m still up typing up the final draft of my English essay.
My eyes are tired and even the text on the screen seems to be turning blurry. I rub my eyes and take a sip of coke before I glue my eyes to the computer once more. The coke tastes disgusting; it’s flat and warm. But I don’t have much of a choice since my only alternative is coffee and I can’t stand the taste. I have to stay awake and finish this essay. My English grade depends on it.
I type. And type. And type. And type. No matter how much I seem to type, the essay doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. I’m just rewording the same idea over and over again just trying to meet the four page requirement. In fact, I’m so desperate in getting this done that I could care less about its quality.
I take a quick glance at the clock. It’s already 2:23. When did time go by so fast?
I can do this. Two more pages and I’m done. Just a little bit more.
With my brief pep talk, I again go back to typing like a maniac. Ten minutes later, I’m at the third page and just need one more to meet the requirement. I read over my essay and can’t help grimacing. It’s my worst essay yet. Tons of summarizing and not even a bit of analysis. My English teacher is just going to love reading this.
For some reason, the last page is always the hardest. I don’t know what to write. I’ve reached the limit in summarizing and repeating and rewording. I don’t even know what exactly I’m even supposed to analyze for this assignment. My mind is blank.
Another sip of coke and back to work I go. I’m typing meaningless words while my mind is off somewhere else. I need sleep, desperately.
Fifteen minutes later, I’m done. Finally.
I click the save button and print out the result of my “hard work”. I staple and hole punch it and shove it into my English folder. My computer shuts down and my usb is thrown into my backpack. I turn off the light and stumble into bed in the dark.
It’s 3AM in the morning and I’m done with the final draft my English essay.