A Goodbye | Teen Ink

A Goodbye

By Madam_Nomad GOLD, Belle Mead, New Jersey
Madam_Nomad GOLD, Belle Mead, New Jersey

Art is the Freedom of Expression

"Best be going now," I murmur. The tears have stopped for now. I hear you sigh as you squeeze me tighter, but as you hands slide from my waist to hang by your sides, I start crying again. I can't look at you. I can see tears streaming down ur own cheeks, but I'm lost, empty inside, clutching at the stuffed otter you gave me. Finally, I look at you, and hug you again, tighter than before. "I love you," you choke out. I try to say i love you too, but the words are barely a whisper. Fate, that brought us together, keeps taking us away from one another. My true love was finally with me again and now he had to leave me, shivering in the cold, cruel world. You release me, murmuring last goodbyes, then turn to enter the airport. I watch for a moment before jumping in the car, a sob escaping my chapped, thin lips. My hearts gone; I feel the gaping hole in my chest as we drive away. I clutch the otter tighter, closing my eyes and holding desperately onto my phone with the other hand, awaiting your message. Too short... too short a visit. Too long till I see you again. Please come home, I silently beg you, but I know you can't hear me. But finally, my tears stop, knowing. Knowing that one day, my home with be with you. I love you.

Goodbyes aren't always forever.