Spoons

We are playing a game of spoons on the outdoor picnic table in the warm sun. Birdsong drifts down from the sunburst tree above us. Cards are passed around the table, and every once in awhile someone mutters about their hand.
Spoons lay in a pinwheel, aiming in seven points of direction from the middle of our game.
People begin to surreptitiously take spoons, it is not clear who took the very first. Very soon all of the spoons are gone.
Almost everyone lays their cards down as we ask who doesn't have a spoon.
Hy looks up from his hand of cards and says with an out of place smile,
"What are you talking about? You guys are gumming the whole thing uuh -oh..." his head thunks on the table and everyone bursts out laughing. Hy is without a spoon.

MoraleAsh said...
This is short but cute!

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
Thank you :)

leafy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 19, 2011 at 7:52 am
This is funny, but not only that, well detailed and well written. Not everyone can do flash fiction, but you sure can ^_^

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
Thank you, Leafy, that cheers me greatly :D

SeerKnowsBest said...
Haha that's pretty funny.  it reminds me of my family when we'd play cards if the power goes out

IamtheshyStargirl replied...

Sounds like fun :) Powerouts must be good family bonding experiences ;)

Thanks for the comment, Seer!

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
(Giggling appreciatively), that's pretty funny! :)

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
I made the raven laugh! That is joy indeed :D

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

A laughter that's like a stone thrown into the center of a lake, for the ripples to spread out (not diminishing, but merging with the water).

There are so many kinds of laughs, I'd like to name them all... :)

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
I'd like to see you name them, you would do it perfectly :) You described your first so beautifully.

Aderes18 said...

:)

Reminds me whenever I play card games at school. It's always entertaining in more ways than one. :)

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
Haha, cool :) Never a dull moment with my sibs :]