Standard Perfomance | Teen Ink

Standard Perfomance

By ninapaniena PLATINUM, Sammamish, Washington
ninapaniena PLATINUM, Sammamish, Washington

To be a good surgeon you have to think like a surgeon, emotions are messy, tuck them neatly away and step into a clean sterile room, where the procedure is simple, cut suture, and close. But sometimes your faced with a cut that won't heal, a cut that rips the stitches right open

I stood there, on the center of the stage. The beam of heat seemed to travel right onto me, as my sweaty palms gripped the microphone. My shaky finger pointed to the stage director, giving him the queue. The music came on, drifting throughout the auditorium, waiting for it’s accompany. I open my mouth to let it out. Note after note and word after word, I sing the Broadway tune until it is sucked back into the speaker. My clamed up face forces out a smile, from my aggressively bright lips. I bend over, still with the smile and then exit the stage. My legs shaking so violently it’s hard for me to keep balance. Off stage I am surrounded by my friends in family, who keep embracing me in their arms. For now I am safe. Safe from the casting director.

I wrote this after my audition for a play in my town.