The Last Day of School | Teen Ink

The Last Day of School

By Isabel Hanberg BRONZE, Aurora, Oregon
Isabel Hanberg BRONZE, Aurora, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

My teacher Mr. Gala, said that math was my first priority, so I tried working on my homework. I don’t like admitting this, but even though I’m in the top math class for my grade, I’m not very good at it. I have questions like what is a polynomial, and why do mathematicians need such fancy names? We already know that they’re smart at math; they don’t need to prove that they can make big words, too. -

My stomach growled. I’d barely had breakfast this morning, because I was running late for the bus, and could not find my shoes. Also I was trying to figure out what to do with my hair, and with those things going on and me trying to find food to stuff into my lunch before the bus got there, I almost forgot, and was lucky that my mom handed me a muffin just as I was walking out the door. I had decided to leave my hair down, and now as I walk up to turn in my test, I felt like Kate Austen from Lost. My hair is just as curly as hers and almost as brown.

I hummed the song “Seasons of Love” while trying to figure out what a trinomial is. My friend at the desk across from mine, accidentally on purpose dropped a paper on the floor.

Eliza said, “Oh, I think you dropped this. Here you go,” I took it, and read:
-Going to get food from locker-
She raised her hand and asked to go to the bathroom, and I smiled.

“Five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes…” I mumbled. When Eliza came back, I looked up when she dropped a quesadilla onto my desk, then mouthed thank you across the desks.

I was thankful when the bell for last period rang forty five minutes later, and hopped out of my desk to hurry to my locker. I hated being late for the bus, because my bus is so crowded, that you’re lucky to find a seat with only one person in it. I was happy, though; I was in a good mood because it was Friday, the last day of actual school. The sun was shining like there was no tomorrow.

Running outside into the warm afternoon, I realized I should have worn shorts that day. It’s okay; I love these pants, I thought to myself as I looked down at my yellow polka dot flip flops. Summer was here.

Isabel Hanberg BRONZE, Aurora, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
I can't believe my article is on here! It's the first time I've published, and it feels weird to see it on here...