Words Are Like Weapons | Teen Ink

Words Are Like Weapons

June 22, 2011
By amazing23 BRONZE, Randolph, Massachusetts
amazing23 BRONZE, Randolph, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Suffer now and live the rest of your live as a champion"
"I am the master of my fate/ I am the captain of my soul"
"My greatest enemy in life is myself"


Words are utterances, comments or remarks that are spoken to someone; weapons are anything used against an opponent, adversary, or victim. The question is how are these two different things similar? Words are used as means of communication either in a positive or negative aspect while weapons are used as means of defending either positively or negatively. I am suggesting that words can destroy and uplift a person, for example, in the movie the Great Debater, professor Towson taught the African American debaters to use their words as means of defending and fighting for their civil rights, but in my life it has destroyed my self- esteem, it has cut and pierced me like a knife. I believe that words are like weapons because one of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't express.





I am a scaredy cat, very gullible, and can easily fall into the hands of devilish comments. I remember the first time I was called a slut. I kindly walked away, but in the dark lonely corner was I crying, my face was bleeding with tears because it wasn't just once but continuously that I felt my own world was going to collapse. I also remember being laughed at because of the way I walk; the words they used were really obscene and very uncomfortable. I remember the continuous name calling. I remember piercing myself with a knife, to feel something other than the pain they caused. I know it might sound crazy and insane but at that point, their use of words almost ended my life. I wanted to die, I wanted to strangle myself, and I wanted and desperately wanted to commit suicide. I understand why anyone will want to end their life because I myself was in that situation.

Although that incident might have occurred in my life, everyday, I listen to my best friend saying, "I hate my mom, I don't want to stay with her again," "why" I ask, "she calls me worthless, she calls me useless, she calls me stupid, she calls me bad blood, she even said that she wants to disown me," she replied. I have cried with those similar words, maybe not from my mother but the hurtful thing is, she is still crying. Have you ever cried because someone said something that hurt you? What people fail to recognized is often times appearance is deceiving.





However, just like weapons are used to protect and defend oneself, words sometimes clothe one with courage and confident. The phrase "you can do this" can uplift a person, and renew a person. The constant word used by your parents, friends, families “I believe in you” can build one’s confidence. It can cheer you up; it can give you a deeper meaning of yourself and also, simply telling someone “hi, I love you shoes, or your t-shirt are awesome” can put a smile on their faces. I believe that words are weapons because it can break you apart piece by piece and also put together piece of injuries. It can also suppress and encourage you. "Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another.” Napoleon Hill


The author's comments:
words can damage the heart and soul and body so one to rightfully choose the right words to say to someone.