Stormy Oceans | Teen Ink

Stormy Oceans

By aubs126 PLATINUM, Charlton, Massachusetts
aubs126 PLATINUM, Charlton, Massachusetts

"We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are---
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. "

Tennyson

After school yesterday I saw a homeless man. I was being driven home by my grandmother. The heat was blaring in the car. I felt to warm and pleaded with her to turn the hot air down. Outside was this man begging for money in the cold. It’s not like I haven’t seen homeless people before, but this was different. This guy just stood there with a blank look on his face, almost like he had expected this to happen. I looked at the once thriving man that now looked cold and weak, and I wondered. His face looked like collapsing sand dunes and his eyes were like stormy oceans. I don’t know why this affected me so much. Something in his face told me that long ago he had a purpose aside from begging for money. He stood lopsided, like the world had been pushed down on one side of his frail body. Then the streetlight turned green and I was gone, driving home quickly to my house. The man did not walk away, he stayed. It then occurred to me he was already home, the street was his home

Just a simple moment in time, but it means so much.

poet.lover PLATINUM, Pineville, Pennsylvania

"Never part without loving words to think of during your absence. It may be that you will not meet again in this life."

the ending is so heartfelt. i could really feel his emotion. great piece!