Empty Spot in my Heart | Teen Ink

Empty Spot in my Heart

By i.heart.cheerleading BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
i.heart.cheerleading BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

"I believe everything happens for a reason. People change so you can learn to let go.Things go wrong,so that you can appreciate them when they're right. You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself."

As the last day of school approaches, there are so many things going through my mind. Should I join the United States Air Force? Will I succeed? How will my Mom react to this? How will I survive? I don't know the answers to these questions, well not yet anyway. Today I am going to meet the recruiter and we will see what happens. Maybe I won't be able to get in. I don't know, but I sure can try. "Well, Sir, you have been accepted to the US Air Force. Have you told your family?" "No. I don't know how they will respond." "Well, we can help you through this process. We know its a scary one." "Okay. Thanks, I will give you a call later."

This was the conversation that my brother had before he came home and told us the news. Joe was going to be leaving in two weeks. He will get out on a Friday, we will have a graduation party on Saturday and he will get shipped off on Monday. These were the few saddest days of my life.

Just a couple days after he left, I had finally stopped crying. Every time I looked outside, I saw his truck and broke down again. My family tried to comfort me, I thought that I missed him the most, but my Mom probably missed him more. Every night I would talk to him and hang out with him. Now that he is gone I don't know what to do.

That was two years ago to the date. Now he is in Little Rock, Arkansas and he just went through a tornado. He was at work and his crew and him were holding the doors down so that they wouldn't fly open. They knew that if they did, all of them in the hanger would be sucked into the tornado. Fortunately, everything was okay and the only damage that happened to Joe was that his truck was totalled. This is unfortunate because he had just bought in December.

Yesterday I saw his new truck on Facebook. Its exactly what he wanted to get, eventually. There is still this empty spot in my heart that will never be filled. When Joe left, he was ripped out of my heart by the government, and until he comes back, I will still have that empty part of my heart.

When I wrote this, I was really missing my brother. What I want you guys to know is that he is not dead. He just lives on the other side of the country.