My Relationship with Writing... | Teen Ink

My Relationship with Writing...

By easycheese303 BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
easycheese303 BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia

The amount of time I've spent contemplating whether or not to do this project is comparable to the amount of time spent waiting for world hunger to become nonexistent. Albeit, I haven't literally spent a number of years waiting to not do this particular endeavor, but you get the overall gist of things. If not, let me make this clear: I don't like writing under pressure. Actually, to be quite candid, I don't like writing in general. I used to. I really did, but I think that academia sucked out all of the joys of writing. At least for me. I just want to write without worry, without a care, with reckless but controlled abandon!

I want to write like E.E. Cummings. I want to defy the conventions of writing and get praise for it. Invert sentences, I want to and use. random punct! uations in my sentences. Although his writing was unconventional, he conveyed his message with unusual quirkiness that made him unique. So what can I do to make myself love writing again? What can I do to make my mark on a piece of work, scholastic or otherwise?

I could use maledictions to convey my thoughts, but that's too riskè for a scholar of higher learning like myself. Maybe I could break that barrier. I could tastefully add a curse word or two into a sentence. No? Well, how about introducing a relatively new style of writing? How about discarding every verb in a sentence? It a good idea. I'm perfectly okay with sounding like an illiterate [malediction] if it helps me rediscover my ardor for writing.

You know what? Never you mind. I'm okay with being a drone of academia. Actually, I have no choice. Academia and I have a long road ahead of us. If I'm going to get my PhD in child psychology, I'm going to have to suck it up. That's about NINE to TWELVE years of my collegiate life dedicated to learning. As of now, I'm forcing myself to write scholarship essays, English essays, and publications that I don't necessarily want to do. Maybe one day I'll find my writing mojo, but until that day, I will always despise mandated writing with the majority of the fibers in my human anatomy.

dnb123 said...
on Jun. 8 2011 at 6:34 am
It was a pleasure reading this article.  I loved it!!