Opportunity in America | Teen Ink

Opportunity in America

By Steven Benna GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Steven Benna GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Just over 10 years ago, my aunt, Fiorella, moved to the United States from Italy. Since then, she has started an Italian restaurant in Arizona. She told me her childhood dream was to run her own restaurant. Because of America’s open arms, she moved here and fulfilled her dreams. In Italy, she said it is much more difficult—almost impossible—to open a successful restaurant. After she moved here, nothing was given to her. Nothing was done for her. But she was able to purchase a building and start her restaurant, making her childhood dream a reality.

But America may have too many opportunities. Americans are gullible and willing to buy anything. Products sold via infomercial—such as the Shamwow and the Snuggie—generate millions of dollars in profit even though people know that they are not as good as the commercials make them seem. The Shamwow is just a towel and the Snuggie is basically a backwards robe. People know these products are useless, yet they continue to buy them.
There are so many products being sold so often, that Americans are drawn in no matter what, whether it is because of peer pressure or the greed of wanting everything. The opportunities help those who are patenting new products, but the customers are practically throwing their money away. An excessive amount of opportunities is good for individuals in the United States, but it almost seems that there are too many.
People often think of opportunities as jobs, but there are others. Having an opportunity is having a chance. My aunt was given a chance, and she accomplished her goals. And other people, such as the creators of the Shamwow and the Snuggie, also accomplished their goals.
The abundance of opportunities gave my aunt a chance, but it also makes things more difficult for her. If someone else—anyone else—wants to start an Italian restaurant, they can. Even if it is in the same area as hers, they can. The competition may be better for the customers, but someone has to lose. People like my aunt have to keep their business running, but they have to be prepared for new competition at all times.

America is often called “the land of opportunity,” and rightfully so. But the opportunities are both good and bad. In infomercials, at least one person is benefitted by the sale, but a large amount of the products are useless is what hurt America.
Why do we need Snuggies or special towels? They do nothing positive for America. They only benefit the inventor. Being given an opportunity can change a person’s life, but in some way, it can hurt someone else’s. Without opportunities, America wouldn’t be the country it is today. And while it may help more people than it hurts, it is not a perfect thing. A surplus of opportunities is a positive thing because it gives people a chance, and the buyers have a choice. Everyone should get a chance to fulfill the dreams, and even though it’s impossible for everyone too, America provides the best chance.