Slaying the Giant | Teen Ink

Slaying the Giant

By redhead5 BRONZE, Sparta, New Jersey
redhead5 BRONZE, Sparta, New Jersey

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
—Ambrose Redmoon

Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.
—Cyril Connolly

“Basketball is in my blood. It is my obligation to try.” The words of Hakeem Olajuwon could not have been truer as I made my way to onto the court for tryouts. My sneakers squeaked as I ran to grab a ball while my stomach churned. Watching the girls, few of whom I knew, swishing the orange sphere with a perfect flick of the wrist, was a little intimidating. I had never played basketball like this before, but I knew I had to try, and that was all anyone could ask for.

Challenges have followed me like a shadow since birth. Unlike my little brother, I have to work hard to get what I want, especially in school. Basketball is a work in progress, and I have a long way to go until I am on par with my teammates. Then it’s just the little things, overcoming the hatred I felt about my voice, my self-consciousness about my body, and my scars. Then my mind starts to wander, and I imagine what type of person I would be if this drive to be myself, to win, to prove people wrong, wasn’t in me. You would probably find me wallowing in self-pity, crying in my room. Goliaths have been placed in front of me and it is my job to slay them, although I would prefer a pen to a slingshot.

Having obstacles in my path only reassures me that my life will go somewhere. That I survived for a reason. My voice is unique, just like the rest of me, who cares what people say? My scars show that I am a fighter, and I can’t change my body so I should just embrace my curves as they are. Although living up to a grandmother’s legacy as an all-star basketball player is easier said than done. I will try, and if I should fail, I will try again. Obstacles will make me a better athlete, daughter, and person. “Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you; they're supposed to help you discover who you are.” (Bernice Johnson Reagon) I am determined to not let the things I cannot control hold me back, I’ll use them to my advantage. The ball is in my court now, and I attend to fight for it, dodge the defenders standing in my way, shoot and score.

I had to write an explanatory essay for my english class, relating to a quote so this is what I came up with.