Fly Like a Bird | Teen Ink

Fly Like a Bird

Everyone had their time alone with my grandfather in his room. It was me, my sister, my mom, my great aunt, and uncle. I had never said goodbye to anyone so I wasn’t sure what to say but it all came to me when I was in the room. I asked my grandfather if he could send me a sign once he got to heaven. I told him what I wanted to do with my life and that I would pursue piano and keep taking lessons just like he wanted me too. He kept crying though because he felt so bad that I had to go through all of this. I remember holding his hand and telling him it was okay because he would be with my grandmother and he had our approval from everyone to leave us. After everyone’s time we all just sat in the room together and waited until the time came. All of the nurses were so nice to us and made us very comfortable. I was still wearing my jersey and tried to sleep in a recliner chair they brought in. Sleep wasn’t really an option for me that night even though I was exhausted. My mom and uncle were telling stories about my Papa and my great aunt would start singing and trying to keep my grandfather comfortable. We all told him to sleep and rest and that we wouldn’t leave his side.

Morning finally came and the time had come for my grandfather to go to heaven. He was a very religious man and we all heard his breathing starting to change. I grabbed a hold of his hand and his eyes were still shut. We all gathered around the bed and said the Lord’s prayer and then he took his last breath. I will never forget that moment and I only hope to die the way my grandfather did with all of his loved ones surrounding him.

On the car ride back home, I was looking out the window and see these flock of birds in the sky. This peace came over me and I felt as though this was the sign that my grandfather had sent to me. He was finally in heaven with my grandmother where he wanted to be.

The time after losing a loved one is always the hardest and the funeral planning along with the wake. So many people come up to you and hug you and say how sorry they are. Words are never enough in these situations and half of my friends didn’t even understand how I felt. I was now without my grandparents that helped raise me, care for me, and helped me become the person I am today. The only thing that helped me get through this whole experience was my family and the time we spent together. I don’t know what I would have done without my grandfathers sister there. She helped me a lot and prayed with me. After she went home after the service, I received a package in the mail. She sent me a beautiful hard cover Bible with a note inside saying to be honest and true to yourself while reading, and also where to start. I still have her in my life today and I don’t know what I would do without her.

Being able to spend my grandfathers last moments with him was pretty special and he taught me to never fear death. It’s a part of life and someday everyone will have to go through it. I walked along side my grandfather’s journey and I never will forget that morning where I looked up and saw the sign from my grandfather watching over me up in the sky. He’ll always be in my heart and I’ll carry his life lessons with me where ever I go.