Beat the Bully | Teen Ink

Beat the Bully

By courtneyloux13 SILVER, West Sand Lake, New York
courtneyloux13 SILVER, West Sand Lake, New York

"Dreams come true only for those who have the courage to take action."

Today I want to talk about bullying since so much of it seems to be going on in my life lately. Now, before your roll your eyes thinking this is just some high school drama, it’s not.

For the past year I’ve been a victim of bullying by a girl who I’ve never even talked to. Her and her group of friends seem to have something against me, the only reason I can think of is that they’re so miserable in their own lives that they feel the need to try and bring me down. It hasn’t worked so far but yet this one girl insists on calling me ugly, nasty, fat, disgusting and has even started posting statuses about my boyfriend and me.

At first I broke down crying when I saw how many people “liked” a status that read, “Fuck Mark and his fat nasty girlfriend. Just saying.” (Let’s overlook the minor fact that she couldn’t even bother to use proper grammar.)

I’m not one for confrontations unless absolutely necessary, but on the same note, I do not, I repeat, do not say anything about anyone unless I can say it to the person’s face. For someone to go behind my back and continue to say things amazes me, especially since she has had multiple opportunities to confront me about her issue with me. (Which seems to be the fact that she just thinks I’m ugly.)

Now, I’ve handled this situation in the most mature way I can, as I do whenever someone doesn’t like me. I simple laugh, smile, and act as if the bullies words don’t phase (usually they honestly don’t) I refuse to let someone make me miserable because they feel bad about themselves. Their personal issues are not my problem and I will not, by any means, let them win by reacting to negative comments.

But after having a co-worker send me a picture of said status, I felt something had to be done. So here I am writing this rant out at ten o’clock on Valentine’s Day in attempt to not only make myself feel better, but to hopefully inspire someone else to grow tough skin when it comes to bullying.

No one should ever feel like they’re not pretty enough, or smart enough. No one should ever be put down for any reason at all. I believe that there is good in everyone, no matter how far you may have to search to find it. Even in the people that bully me. Some say what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, I feel like that’s the case here. I could cry and hang my head down when I pass her in the halls but I don’t. I laugh, I smile, I hold onto my boyfriend’s hand with everything I got because sometimes, when you’re in those situations all you need is someone else there to hold you up when you feel like you’re falling.

In life there will always be people who don’t like you, that’s just something we need to accept. But only you can choose how to handle those people. I choose to not let them define who I am. I know who I am. I’m extremely strong minded, I’m determined and mature and I always try to look at things from multiple points of view.

Most of all though, I’m a positive person and I’m a proud person. I like who I am and where I’m going in life. The people who put me down aren’t. I can hold my head up high throughout the day and at night I sleep with a clear conscience. I’m not sure my bullies can say the say.
What I’m trying to say is that there are bigger fish to fry out there. While dealing with insults isn’t easy, you can’t let the bully win. They thrive for attention, good or bad. I refuse to feed that sick addiction of theirs but instead, be confident with who I am and know that karma, is in fact, the biggest b**** of all.