High School: Steeping Stones | Teen Ink

High School: Steeping Stones

By ComputerKnerd PLATINUM, Richmond, Virginia
ComputerKnerd PLATINUM, Richmond, Virginia

“The friend in my adversity I shall always treasure most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity”
- Ulysses S. Grant

High School was the foundation of a wide array of hidden choices. All my life people have been telling me I was a phenomenal athlete and they could see me doing great things. From my perspective, I believed my athletic abilities would carry me through high school as they had in the past. I traveled through this tunnel, often referred to as life, eager to explore many new endeavors. Eventually, I had gotten myself in so much “stuff” that I had lost insight on the real reason I was in school. As long as I kept my spot in the starting line up everything was kosher in my world. Nobody could have convinced me otherwise, although many people tried.

Everyone knew my name for all the wrong reasons. I was the varsity athlete that was always in the mix, but nothing that had to do with academic advancement. You could find me at every dance, sporting event, pep-rally, or party. Initially, I was excited to become as popular as an underclassman. My teachers, coaches, teammates, and classmates always seemed to tease me for being so popular but I always took it as them being jealous. For example, my coach would always joke with me about having to run suicides for the emails my teachers would send and my classmates would always chuckle if I came to class on time. I followed the crowd, continued to play varsity basketball, and made it through the first two years of high school with ease. Besides running isn’t punishment for someone in shape. Would this same attitude carry me through graduation?

Junior year came faster than I fancied and everything seemed to be making since to me. My teachers didn't give me slack because I was a varsity athlete, nor did they let me come to class when I felt like it. I rushed to change my schedule, but my counselor insisted that I give my new classes a chance. Maybe this was the signal everyone has been trying to send to me all long, or maybe immediate gratification isn’t always what’s best? At this point I had two alternatives, give up on playing basketball or focus on my academics. If I hadn't learned anything over the course of high school, my coaches always instilled in me giving up wasn’t an option. How could I transition from being the star athlete to the sophisticated, studious, reliable, student?

Fewer options and only two years remain, only I would determine my future. Believe me it’s a lot easier said than done, but with faith and a literal push from my coach I was able to succeed. Basketball is no longer my curricular, but my extra-curricular and I am proud of my own transformation. Now, half-way through my Web Design &Multimedia/Programming class and incredible was the least to describe this class. Absorbed in the lesson and every aspect of technology, I just knew Management Information Systems and Computer Science was unquestionably the route I wanted to take. This curiosity led me on the prowl to the perfect college experience; beyond the excitement in the computer lab I currently spend 2 ½ hours daily in. At this point, many things were running through my mind, and I was indecisive about where my endeavors would lead me. No longer would my biggest decision be what game was next, who to take to homecoming, what to eat at lunch, or what to do after class, but instead I was trying to figure out what college had everything that I fancied and beyond.

By this point I had already determined that the large public school environment wasn’t fit for my personality, but almost all of my friends were heading south or west. Were my goals as realistic as they seemed or would I head off to college next year and never return for the spring? There was no way I could revert to my old ways of following the crowd, and fitting in. I stuck with my gut feeling and applied to the private schools in the “Central Region” that had my major. I sent off applications and visited campuses for months, hoping to find that place that would be my second home. Opening up to change, accepting diversity, following my dreams, and understanding what it takes to be successful were all vital to my transition.

Receiving, six acceptance letters and one letter of deference; I learned possibly the pressure of going to college was all internal. Through the late nights, long bus rides, early morning flights, trips to the guidance office, and SAT’s were all worth it. Having paid my housing deposit and receiving my financial aid package; I proudly apply for scholarships. Understanding, I was fortunate enough to experience this escapade and modify my life before it was too late. I will move on to play college basketball, pursuing a double major in Management Information Systems and Computer Engineering in the Fall, but my high school years will always serve as steeping stones to my future.

I was fortunate enough to change before it was too late, but I will not choose the same route in college