The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

SilverSun said...
Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:26 am
This is a very beautiful piece full of ideals I wish everyone had. You wrote this so perfectly, it is so deserving of the magazine publication you received. I especially loved the part where you "saw yourself." good job!

GodSpell98 said...
I really connected with this piece! I checked ur profile and we have so much in common, even tho i didn't put a lot of the stuff down. GO LEANORD NIMOY! TREKKIES RULE!!! P.S. whats ur fave episode? I <3 Private Little War (and Chekov) sorry that im being a geek and talkative but I don't get to spaz like this very often! YAY! Anyway, loved the article! And the superman shirt! Woot Woot! 8D!

ModernMissBennet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really identified with this piece, and I think the writing is great! 

thelostsiren said...
Wow, I loved this. Great job.

livelaughloveeatsoup said...
This was amazing:) good job! :)

Lletya said...
I've kinda had the same thing happen.  I try something on, thinking it will be cool, and its just not me.  But, you're you, and thats good.

CandyGirl said...
This was so poetic, towards the end

Michelle.D said...
This was really honest. great job! :)

Sarbear1995 said...
Jan. 17, 2012 at 11:11 am
Great job on being yourself, you aren't here to please other people :)

crystalita said...
true this people now on days just do wat their friends do you can see ll the girls wear the same thing

lolzdude said...
I can't relate at all b/c I'm cool and good looking... but you write very well. I liked the story.

Kite replied...
Thats your opinion.

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 29, 2011 at 8:55 am
So open and honest~ This is something that a lot of people think of in the dressing room, but they ignore the thought.

maizyiscrazy said...
Whenever I look in the mirror and see something that somebody else might not aprove of, this happens to me. This is very good.

Chans247 said...
This was very well written. What happened to you remind me of what happened to me. I always wish that I could look cool, but I just don't like that sort of clothing.

readlovewrite said...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 10:16 am
This is very good.  You were right to do what you did.  I have felt that way to because it is the same at my school.  I sometimes wish I could look like my friends and be like them too, but instead whenever I see something that seems like it might look good to the people around me, I feel like it just isn't me.  You wrote truely, and I am sure that you have represented many other people as well

lolzdude replied...
I think you mean truthfully, or truly...

Rhinos said...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 7:38 am
True true true, be yourself, at least you know you're on your own path. Everybody has a talent, if you deviate from it, you're only getting farther. It's true where I am too! Very thoughtful!

mary_blue356This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 20, 2011 at 8:02 am
Awww! I love this one! I'm glad because you value MODESTY SO MUCH! You inspire everyone:)

IfIFall said...
I appecriate the way you carry yourself, everyone seems to want to fit in by showing off body parts. But beauty truly does come from within and if someone can't appreciate you for the way you carry yourself  then they can't truly apreciate you for you.