The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

Michelle.D said...
This was really honest. great job! :)

Sarbear1995 said...
Jan. 17, 2012 at 11:11 am
Great job on being yourself, you aren't here to please other people :)

crystalita said...
true this people now on days just do wat their friends do you can see ll the girls wear the same thing

lolzdude said...
I can't relate at all b/c I'm cool and good looking... but you write very well. I liked the story.

Kite replied...
Thats your opinion.

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 29, 2011 at 8:55 am
So open and honest~ This is something that a lot of people think of in the dressing room, but they ignore the thought.

maizyiscrazy said...
Whenever I look in the mirror and see something that somebody else might not aprove of, this happens to me. This is very good.

Chans247 said...
This was very well written. What happened to you remind me of what happened to me. I always wish that I could look cool, but I just don't like that sort of clothing.

readlovewriteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 10:16 am
This is very good.  You were right to do what you did.  I have felt that way to because it is the same at my school.  I sometimes wish I could look like my friends and be like them too, but instead whenever I see something that seems like it might look good to the people around me, I feel like it just isn't me.  You wrote truely, and I am sure that you have represented many other people as well

lolzdude replied...
I think you mean truthfully, or truly...

Rhinos said...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 7:38 am
True true true, be yourself, at least you know you're on your own path. Everybody has a talent, if you deviate from it, you're only getting farther. It's true where I am too! Very thoughtful!

mary_blue356 said...
Nov. 20, 2011 at 8:02 am
Awww! I love this one! I'm glad because you value MODESTY SO MUCH! You inspire everyone:)

IfIFall said...
I appecriate the way you carry yourself, everyone seems to want to fit in by showing off body parts. But beauty truly does come from within and if someone can't appreciate you for the way you carry yourself  then they can't truly apreciate you for you.

LoudDreamerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Even though I probably shouldn't care what people think, I still can't help but smile with pleasure at finding another girl who cares about modesty. Sometimes I think that there is something about modest clothes gives you a sense of security, right? Rock on, E the Author. If you don't feel it is nessasary to dress down, don't.

tr3bl3grrl said...
Amazing. I can so relate. You are awesome. This is awesome. Keep writing!

DakotaShadow said...
A very similar thing happened to me, when I startedcwearing make up. I thought I'd suddenly feel beautiful, that seems like a joke now

Bambi67 said...
very nice!!

pageturner This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I personally don't see that many stereotypes in my school, but I like your article.

SofiaPheonix said...
I loved this and really connected to it. Its actually pretty hard to get me to feel the emotions a piece is supposed to portrey, but you did a fantastic job and I really felt it. Great Job keep writing.

dawnof17 said...
Nov. 5, 2011 at 8:50 am
I used to be awkward. I thot if I could only be friends with these certain girls, life would be tops. Suddenly I found myself accepted with those very girls, and it was not what I had been expecting. I felt better, simply because I came out of myself, and simply was me, but I found that "the top" was not with those girls, but in being who I am and loving it. You can't have fun being someone else. You don't feel free that way.