The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

mary_blue356This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 20, 2011 at 8:02 am:
Awww! I love this one! I'm glad because you value MODESTY SO MUCH! You inspire everyone:)

IfIFall said...
I appecriate the way you carry yourself, everyone seems to want to fit in by showing off body parts. But beauty truly does come from within and if someone can't appreciate you for the way you carry yourself  then they can't truly apreciate you for you.

LoudDreamerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Even though I probably shouldn't care what people think, I still can't help but smile with pleasure at finding another girl who cares about modesty. Sometimes I think that there is something about modest clothes gives you a sense of security, right? Rock on, E the Author. If you don't feel it is nessasary to dress down, don't.

tr3bl3grrl said...
Amazing. I can so relate. You are awesome. This is awesome. Keep writing!

DakotaShadowThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
A very similar thing happened to me, when I startedcwearing make up. I thought I'd suddenly feel beautiful, that seems like a joke now

Bambi67 said...
very nice!!

pageturnerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I personally don't see that many stereotypes in my school, but I like your article.

SofiaPheonix said...
I loved this and really connected to it. Its actually pretty hard to get me to feel the emotions a piece is supposed to portrey, but you did a fantastic job and I really felt it. Great Job keep writing.

dawnof17 said...
Nov. 5, 2011 at 8:50 am:
I used to be awkward. I thot if I could only be friends with these certain girls, life would be tops. Suddenly I found myself accepted with those very girls, and it was not what I had been expecting. I felt better, simply because I came out of myself, and simply was me, but I found that "the top" was not with those girls, but in being who I am and loving it. You can't have fun being someone else. You don't feel free that way.

Kayroxy101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is lovely. It made me happy knowing that out there there are still people who be who they want to be and don't care about what other people think or what the Norm is :)

clumsyteardropper said...
i'm sorry to all you "i think i'm so hot" peeps and really popular jocks who are in the IN crowd...... but just saying my personal opinion... dorks, geeks, nerds and such are just SO hot ;)  DONT BE ANYONE BUT YOU!!! becuz no one does it better

Naomi518 replied...
Oct. 14, 2011 at 1:56 pm :
I totally agree! I'm much more attracted to nerds :P

AubreyD. replied...
Dec. 19, 2011 at 7:12 pm :

Amen to that!

Tcoolgirl said...
I must say that I'm wearing a super girl T-shirt and sneakers right now, but i am AWESOME. Lol, but I like your article. It makes a very good point, someone shouldnt wear something that is not them just to impress other people.

lzcelloplayerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I enjoyed reading this, and it sends a good message out there, that you should be who you want to be and not be pressured by anything to be someone else just to fit in with the crowd. 

selenafan1This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 22, 2011 at 4:34 pm :
omg this is so awesome wow so inspirational

FreedomIsMyVirtue said...
Sept. 20, 2011 at 6:39 am:
I'd be myself. I like this article. So simple but inspiring.

ElleBell223421 said...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 9:29 am:
You are an inspiration! If only more teenage girls thought that way.

K.M.S.Shear said...
Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:52 am:
Great job just being yourself.

Laura_Oliver said...
This is a terrific piece! I dress the same way, with shorts and t-shirts all the time (once I was mistaken for a boy, and I just showed them my braid), and while I have never felt the need to buy any of those short skirts or shorts, I agree that you should just dress the way you want to and not feel pressured to follow others in their fashion statements. Be happy about it, too!