Letter to my younger self | Teen Ink

Letter to my younger self

By rudical BRONZE, Holland, Michigan
rudical BRONZE, Holland, Michigan

Dear Rudy,

You look at yourself in the mirror. What do you see? A high school senior almost all grown up and getting ready for college in less than a year. You’re excited & nervous about college at the same time. It’s pretty much been narrowed down to 2 choices; am I going to be a Bronco or a Laker? The thing is, I still don’t know what I want to do in life. I remember growing up; my favorite car was a Mitsubishi 3000GT. I can’t thank my parents enough for getting me that car. But one night not to long ago, I made a stupid mistake and totaled it. Luckily, you and your friends were ok and barely harmed. Since that night, I learned a hell of a lot! And I appreciate things a lot more. If I had known that before, I’d be living in a much better world. The thing is… you will make mistakes. But you have to learn from your mistakes. It makes you a wiser person. I will give you advice to help you out, and get through the tough times ahead and when you make mistakes growing up.

First of all, get more involved in sports & activities. You see karate movies and wonder… why can’t I do Martial Arts like these kids? It looks so fun and exciting! Well don’t be afraid to try it. Just Do It! Also you see your friends wearing rocket football jerseys all the time throughout the beginning of middle school. You really want to do it early on in your life, but you get intimidated by bigger people. But really, most of them are nothing skills wise and you can take’em on. You got skills kid, play some football! It will also help you take out some of the frustrations you have. I know you love to play basketball. You go outside almost every day and shoot some hoops in the driveway. Even when it’s cold out; your fingers feel numb, and your arms and legs will start to shiver, but it all goes away after you start playing. Make sure you don’t stop playing basketball, try out for the team every year even though you may get cut. But just because you don’t make the team, shouldn’t mean you’re not good enough. It just means there are better players out there. Be sure to enjoy your childhood and don’t be afraid to try new things at an early age. Join some more sports and get involved in more activities.

Second, don’t fight with your parents, especially over stupid things. It is not worth it, even if you think or you know you’re right. It’s not worth hurting their feelings simply because they’re your parents! Whenever they yell at you, just ignore it if it makes you mad. And walk away when they’re done. You’re lucky to have parents like this. Because there are other parents out there that discipline their kids in other harsher & stricter ways. Also be thankful they give you a nice allowance and buy you pretty much everything you ask for. Actually be more than thankful, be grateful! But whenever they get you mad, take your sisters advice and don’t take it out back on them. Take it out in sports, like football & basketball, or in martial arts if you decide to do it.

Third, there will be a one and only time you put your and your friend’s lives at risk. It will happen early on in your senior year, you will get in a pretty bad car accident and you will ruin your favorite car. It will put a big slump on your senior year because you rely on friends for rides. Just be careful when you start driving, and don’t do any speeding or wreck less driving. Unfortunately, you will learn that the hard way. The best thing to do is be grateful you and your friends are ok from the accident, and move on.

Lastly, do the right thing. You actually have been doing the right thing pretty much your whole life, in the past, present, & make sure to keep it up in the future. Also stay out of trouble. Even though you don’t do the right thing sometimes, don’t get caught at the least or DON’T even do it at ALL!
Be yourself, don’t change for anybody. Don’t be pressured into doing things you’re uncomfortable with just to fit in. Be friends with people that like you for who you are. Most important… JUST LIVE YOUR LIFE THE WAY YOU WANT!

Learn from your experiences & live your life