A Day At Work | Teen Ink

A Day At Work

By cortniea.k.a.co-co BRONZE, Ypsilanti, Michigan
cortniea.k.a.co-co BRONZE, Ypsilanti, Michigan

With taking care of children comes many responsibilities. Many times during the day you find that you repeat yourself and constantly resolve conflicts. In a child"s brain they have this idea that everything belongs to them. That is the main reason why young children may not get along all the time. This is why taking care of children can be such a difficult task.

A day at work goes as follows. When you get there you set up the room and put out certain things for them to do. The way to choose is to look at the developmental stages of each child and see what can better them. After that is done you have to get breakfast ready, but while you are doing this a child arrives. Thirty minutes later you need to change their diaper. Multitasking and focus is greatly needed in this field of work.

When all the children arrive and have their breakfast, circle time begins. During circle time you practice numbers, colors, abc's, months of the year and so on. Repetition is how kids learn so they go over this stuff everyday. While you are teaching though, a child walks away from the carpet area, you must keep the other kids busy while you go get the kid. Now its to do diaper checks which you must do every two hours. After we change all diapers we have snack.

While at work you have to make decisions. What do you do when a child starts fighting while you are changing a diaper what do you do? Do you leave the changing area with the risk of the child falling off the changing table or do you break up the fight with the risk a child may get injured? Situations like this may occur every hour. This can become a lot to handle.

Many times throughout you should take a two-minute break just to get your thoughts together. The best time to do this is during nap time which takes place after lunch. Nap time usually lasts about 2-3 hours. After nap time the children wake up, get changed, have snack, and then go outside until their parents arrive.

At the end of the day you are tired, stressed out, and relieved all at once. Many people get so frustrated that they take it out on the child. This is why so many children get abused by their caregiver. A person may get frustrated with a child basically because they don't understand them. At the end of the day you are excited because you know the kids left safe, uninjured, and they learned something new.