My Life As a Pageant Queen | Teen Ink

My Life As a Pageant Queen

January 2, 2011
By vickykrox BRONZE, Miami, Florida
vickykrox BRONZE, Miami, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When one door closes, another one opens."


Being a pageant girl isn’t always easy like most people think. A lot of people have a perspective that girls that do pageants are “All beauty, no brains.” That is actually a false perspective because most of the girls I know from pageants are very smart and do very well in school and work hard to keep up their grades. Also, pageant girls have to be able to memorize these in a very short time, such as opening number routines, introductions, and other contestant’s names.
Girls who do pageants usually have a lot of bully issues at school. Some of my friends have actually had teachers grade them harder on things just because the teacher knew they did pageants. Many other fellow class mates think that because we do pageants we only hang out with our pageant friends and that we are very stuck up. My personal experience with both school friends and pageant friends is that pageant friends are always there for you and don’t talk behind your back when usually, school friends do just because you have more going on to keep you busy.
Some class mates of mine think I have a lot of money because I do so many activities such as dance, cheerleading, and pageants. Well in reality a lot of pageant girls don’t have a lot money and only do the other activities for some of the pageants that need you to have a talent to compete. Pageants also help with public speaking and speaking one on one which can help in school and job interviews. Doing pageants is definitely not easy! I love my life as a pageant girl despite all the others who don’t believe.

The author's comments:
I was inspired to write this piece because a lot of people, friends and family do not understand the pageant world. I'm hoping that people will read this and know that pageants are not just about walking and smiling on stage.