Finish Strong | Teen Ink

Finish Strong

By Zoe McMiller BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Zoe McMiller BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Remember to finish strong. Only minutes until my race, my stomach churns, as thoughts zoom through my head. Yet, there is something about races that keep me wanting more. The cheering crowd, the adrenaline rush, and the end, when I have either that feeling of pride or shame depending on my place
This race was no different. My shin splints were getting out of control, and other, once minor injuries were starting to worsen. I decided to push through the pain, so I could experience that runner’s high.
I may not be the best runner on the team. I’ve been on JV for the past three years. However, the feeling I get during a race or even the sense o accomplishment after a hard practice, is why I’m in track.
I started running track as a freshman, I wasn’t very good. My time for a 200 was five seconds slower than it is currently. But even now, I’m not fast enough to be on varsity. However, after three years of improvement, I have learned how to keep pushing on, no matter how hard it is, I always finish. Finish strong. Those words which my coach repeats time and time again echo in my head. And, no matter how hard life gets, or how difficult it seems, I keep on running, so that in the end, I will finish strong.