My Downfall | Teen Ink

My Downfall

By Amandamarie16 BRONZE, Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Amandamarie16 BRONZE, Fort Walton Beach, Florida

Her demise led to my downfall. Because she left me in the fourth grade, my life changed forever. We used to spend every day together. My mom would drop me off on Saturdays and we would spend the whole day together while my mom was at work. We would go window shopping and visit flea markets until we couldn't walk anymore. Then we would go back to her house and play 'War or 'Go Fish'. She would read me books on rainy days and take me to the bay on sunny days. That night, we would watch movies or T.V until my mom would come pick me up again.

Even though I grew up didn't mean that our close bond would fade. Soon, I was in the fourth grade and that's when everything changed. It was late September and the school year had just begun. She was in Tennessee for a Bluegrass Festival that she goes to every year in the fall. I was back in Florida in my classroom when I got the call that changed everything. The office told me that I was being checked out. So, I gathered my things and went to the office where my dad was waiting for me. He took me by the hand and led me outside. He managed a smile but I could see the pain behind it. Finally, after moments of silence, my dad told me we were going to my mom’s house. Then, a chill ran down my spine. I knew something was wrong.

My mom lived literally across the street from the school so it didn't take us long to get there. However, when I arrived, I wished that the school was far away. I entered the house and followed the hallway to the porch to find my mom sobbing into a tissue. I wasn't sure what was going on yet, but I started to cry at the sight of her and my older sister crying. Even though my mom and dad are divorced he still sat down next to her. I have never seen my mom cry like that before. That chill came back and my heart was right. There was something wrong. Finally, through broken sobs, my mom told me that my grandmother had died in Tennessee that morning at 9. There it was. My best friend was gone forever. I was too young to understand her cause of death. I'm not even sure I ever will fully understand. My mom just kept telling me that she was getting old and she was sick. I couldn't believe she had to go. Just like that she was gone. Her name was Edith and her demise led to my downfall.