Friend or Foe | Teen Ink

Friend or Foe

December 7, 2010
By Anonymous

Friend or Foe?
An exasperated sigh escaped my lips as I stared at the stage. I couldn’t decide what I was feeling. “I should be happy for her, right? She’s my sister…I love her.” But at the same time I was seething with bitterness and jealously. It was petty, but here she was, a freshman, leaving junior high with the same award that I received, plus three more. Of course, Emily, my only sister, would be the one to outshine my accomplishments.

Afterwards, I sat in the backseat with my giddy sister, clenching my teeth and taking deep breaths. When we finally arrived home, I went upstairs. I needed some time to digest the night’s events. Within minutes, I heard my mom’s padding footsteps approaching my door. She came in, looked at me and said, “Honey, I am so incredibly proud of you.” I stared at her with absolute awe as she continued: “You are so supportive of Emily. You know the only reason she strived to win that award was to emulate what you had achieved. You inspire her.”

That night was pivotal. It changed the way I looked at my sister’s annoying habit of outdoing me. Even though there are still times of resentment towards my sister, the realization that I paved the way for many of her accomplishments makes those moments appear less frequently. Although I didn’t understand it before, I realize now that she pushes me to excel. Her obnoxious tendency to always do better encourages me to work harder. She brought out a side of competiveness that I desperately needed in order to hold the attention of my parents, teachers, and friends in her company.
I will always be grateful for Emily’s ability to show me what I didn’t even know I needed. Now when I walk into a room full of people all vying for attention, I know how to shine. I hope to enrich The University of San Diego by pushing my peers to excel, just as my sister drove me to succeed. It is my desire to the catalyst to help us all strive to achieve excellence. Through motivation and encouragement the class 2015 can surpass our self-set limitations and reach greatness.

This fall, I stood in front of a packed stadium as a homecoming queen nominee. They announced the winner. My name wasn’t called. But in two years, I have a strong feeling my sister will be standing in the same spot and when they announce the name of the winner, it will be hers. And I will be okay with that because I know when you accomplish great feats, it inspires others to strive for greatness.


The author's comments:
My sister wans my inspiration for this piece