The Underdogs | Teen Ink

The Underdogs

November 23, 2010
By Anonymous

In my opinion, I believe that hockey is the best sport created because it teaches you many different things. It helps you trust other people and rely on them. Hockey is not a sport where you are by yourself, you play as a team and that makes it fun. You also meet new people because you spend so much time with them. Most of all it teaches what I learned back in my 2009 regional hockey tournament, and I’m going to go back in time to prove it.


After the talk is over in the locker room, we come out onto the ice electrified. The other team looks like they already know they’re going to be going to state. We use this to our advantage and skate circles around them at the first drop of the puck. Seeing how determined we are to win, the other team, Andover, starts to pick up the pace. Their coach does not appear very happy about his team now because as the underdogs, we are outplaying them now.


It’s in the third period and my best friend, Olivia, goes on a breakaway and scores to make us only losing by one. We make tons of noise and the fans applaud and jump from their seats. Our coach, my dad, calms the team down.
“Go get another!” He then tells us.
We now have the momentum on our side, and in hockey, momentum is a key component in scoring goals. So luckily, with only a couple of seconds left in the period, my team mate scores to tie the game. We now have to go into overtime.


I glance over at the head coach on the Andover’s team’s bench, and I see him propels his hands up and down with an upset appearance on his face. He looks like a volcano erupting on the team. After zoning out for a couple of seconds, I focus my attention back onto my dad. He is explaining to us the game plan. We then all huddle together and give each other encouraging comments. I can feel everyone’s nerves, excitement, and determination to win.
My dad then says, “You girls are playing the best you’ve ever played before, so now I want you go out there and win this game!”
Our team chants, “1, 2, 3 Wolfpack!” .
We then skate out onto the ice.


We later ended up winning against Andover, and we went, the next weekend, to the state tournament. The most important moral I learned in this story, and in everyone hockey game I have played, is that you need to believe in order to achieve. We, as a team, never gave up or doubted any of our abilities and that is why we won. If you ever want to accomplish anything you need to believe that you can succeed or things won’t turn the way you want it to. I also learn new things every day at hockey, and this makes it my favorite thing to do because it combines all of my interests into one thing.