I Never Would Have Guessed | Teen Ink

I Never Would Have Guessed

There’s a girl, a young girl in an old picture frame on the dresser in my room.
Just the other day I was looking at her. I remember how carefree and happy she was coming up in the world.
Life seemed so cliché to her but it was all she had known by the way she was brought up; safely tucked away in the four walls away from the scary, evil, outside.
Then as the older she got, the more the world tried to break the innocence that she had left clinging to it for dear life.
But luckily she was raised right and taught to love the Lord with all her heart until it one day stopped beating and he loving called her home.
Life still came at her though. From deaths, to school, to bullies, to mind-poisoning coming at her in full force, the older she got there was one amazing thing…rather a gift that kept her away from all of that bringing her closer to God.
Her love for music flourished, each year better and better revealing how beautiful it really is.
It seemed no matter what life threw in her path, the music quickly jumped in and saved her life.
Soon the gift started to become so wonderful that not even she could understand it, making her think; “Wow…he must really think something special of me to give me something so precious that I don’t even know what I did to deserve.”
All my eyes go to the same girl however older this time, I see a sixteen year old girl this time in her picture surrounded by friends I smile thinking of how much I love and am loved by the people around me.
Nothing greater than to be loved by so many… I simply look to the sky and try to hold back tears as I get the words out, “if I’d known then what I know now, I would have never believed it… going through so many obstacles, I never knew what you were doing. But now I realize that they were just there to make me strong because you knew I’d overcome them…and for that I’m thankful for who I am, the person you taught me to be”

It's like God reveals himself to me in the most beautiful ways...

on Nov. 26 2010 at 4:46 pm
Phoenix97 PLATINUM, Minneapolis, Minnesota

See lyrics to "Let the Waters Rise" by MIKESCHAIR and "Everything" by Lifehouse

This is beautiful! You have a nice flow to it and you keep the reader interested. The one thing I would suggest, though, is to go back through and fix up the grammar. It would make the piece clearer and more reader-friendly. Nice work though!

on Nov. 26 2010 at 12:16 pm
deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

Oh my Gosh, I love this! So inspiring and fantastic at the end. Great job!