Karime's Baby | Teen Ink

Karime's Baby

November 15, 2010
By Nahome BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
Nahome BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

My Sister might be a good student in the school, but she has many problems with her family and her boyfriend. From seeing her boyfriend in secret to getting pregnant, she had the life many teenagers after all that had happen to her would not like to have.

“What I’m I going to do? How I’m I going to raise the baby?” That’s what she always seem to think.

My sister, Karime, decided she wanted to study, and everything was perfect. Every single night my parents would go out to see a movie or to get dinner. Karime would stay home with both of us my sister, Claudia, and I. My sister's boyfriend, Omar, would always come over to talk to her and they will be outside the house talking while we will be inside watching T.V.. It was all the same, kind of our routine. When we saw my parents coming Omar would leave but he'd try for my parents not to see him.

Many times I remember about at 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning Karime would be looking outside the window I thought of her like an owl waking up in the morning just to do something. She'll be talking to Omar. I never told my parents about that since I knew it will get her in big trouble. Though many times it got me frustrated that I couldn't sleep, I never told her nothing. One memory that I've always had is once I woke up because I heard someone yelling. My dad was screaming at Karime. I was sleeping with Claudia. My dad was screaming and slapping Karime in front of us. Claudia said, “Don't hit her no more! Dad! Stop!” I'm not like my sisters so I l turned around and tried to ignore everything that was going on. My dad was screaming at Karime because someone told him that she was still seeing Omar. Months later all the sudden Karime told my parents that she was pregnant. They obviously got mad, but told her that if she wanted to continue going to school, which she did, they will help her.

It was pretty hard for her to fit in with the rest of the kids at her school, but she had really nice friends that would help and motivate her. She had the baby, she named Alejandra, and since she went to school my mom would take care of the Alejandra, until Claudia and I would get home from school. Though my mom got a little frustrated when taking care of her she did it to help Karime. We had a lot of money problems, so my dad came to U.S. He left about 2 or 3 months after Alejandra was born. I could tell Karime had a tough time. When Alejandra had to get her official name, Omar didn't want to get responsibility, so the baby got my dad's and mom's last name. My mom talked to Omar. He decided to visit the baby every once in a while. After three years, My mom, Claudia and I came to Colorado where we meet with my dad. Karime did not want to come because she wanted to live with Omar. Omar, Karime, and Alejandra lived with Omar's family at an apartment about two blocks away from where we used to live. Though Karime has some problems with Omar she has stayed strong.