Metaphore Life | Teen Ink

Metaphore Life

By mrose13 PLATINUM, Petoskey, Michigan
mrose13 PLATINUM, Petoskey, Michigan

"Be yourself, unless you suck" -Joss Whedon

My life is an auction. Everyone is yelling, trying to buy my attention with the highest bid. My teachers offer, quite insistently, good grades and thus a higher education. I turn to the raucous group on the left and find that debate is presenting, if you call shoving it under your nose rather violently ‘presenting’, opportunities for enjoyment, accomplishment and knowledge. High-pitched screeches cut through the storm of voices, “You think it feels good to cut down someone’s arguments?! What about being strong, physically powerful?! And talk about how pleasurable the sensation of reaching your physical potential! How can knowledge beat that bestial joy!?” Physical activity insists. In response, a roar rises from the back of the mob, “Sleep and eat!!!!!!! You need to survive!”
When I try and point out that I don’t have enough time for each bidder they all just scream harder that they are best! The worst part is that I’m what’s being bid on, so I have a very limited part in the decision-making. Sure I can put in my two cents as to what I think is important, but ultimately my parents or some other adults will yell, “SOLD!” for me.

I was feeling rather bitter and resentful when I wrote this for class. Please tell me what you think!